Coping with Controllers at Work
In This Chapter
• Learning the four motivations of workplace controllers
• Handling tantrum-throwers at work
• Dealing with workplace know-it-alls
• Recognizing when “yes” means “no”
• Coping with controlling customers
Let’s face it: it’s not unusual for work to involve someone telling another what to do. You may not always want to do what you have to do in the way someone says you have to, but a certain amount of doing what’s necessary is par for the course, whether you work in an office, a school, a store, a factory, or a farm. Sometimes you have to suck it up. That’s why they call it w-o-r-k, and not p-l-a-y.
But what if your boss has crossed the line from rational delegating to demanding the unreasonable? ...