Health-Care Reform or Insurance Reform?
No one has seriously proposed overhauling the U.S. health-care system but rather the health-insurance system. In the United States, health-care reform is actually health-insurance reform, although reducing the costs of health care is part of that reform. Many people seeking health-insurance reform want to reduce the role of the private insurers in the U.S. system, mainly for the following reasons:
• They want to de-link health insurance (and thus health care) from income.
• They want to de-link health insurance from employment.
• They feel the health-insurance industry doesn’t add enough value.
• They want to improve cost controls and care.
• They want to improve U.S. companies’ global competitiveness. ...