For whatever reason, should you decide that you want out of Facebook, you have two exits: you can deactivate your account or delete it.
Deactivating Your Account
Deactivating your account leaves all your stuff intact. If you quit and get homesick for Facebook, you can always pick up where you left off. To deactivate your account, here’s what you do:
1. Click Account, Account Settings.
2. In the lower-right corner of the Settings box, click Deactivate. Facebook displays the guilt screen, complete with photos of all the friends who will miss you very, very much. Don’t look.
3. Scroll down the page to the deactivation options.
4. Click the reason that best describes why you’re leaving Facebook.
5. (Optional) Click in the Please ...