Have you been confused by a lawsuit? We can help.
Millions of civil lawsuits are filed in the U.S. court system, costing billions of dollars in legal fees to those involved. The process is so complex that few people can pursue civil action without professional help, leaving them totally at a lawyer's mercy. Yet how many people truly know what they're getting into when they're involved in a lawsuit? The Complete Idiot's Guide® to Lawsuits clarifies the entire process in layman's terms. Expert litigator and law professor Victoria E. Green offers valuable insight into:
*The pros and cons of filing lawsuits
*How they begin and each party's response
*Selecting and paying attorneys
*Consequences of the settlement and appeals
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part 1 - Should You Sue?
- Chapter 1 - How Lawsuits Start
- Chapter 2 - Kinds of Lawsuits
- Chapter 3 - Damages and How You Get Them
Part 2 - Legal Representation
- Chapter 4 - Do You Really Need a Lawyer?
- Chapter 5 - How Much Does Justice Cost?
- Chapter 6 - The Cast of Characters in a Lawsuit
Part 3 - The Legal Environment
- Chapter 7 - Background Basics
- Chapter 8 - Court Rules and Civil Procedure
Chapter 9 - Small Claims Court
- What Makes Small Claims Courts Different?
- When Should I Use Small Claims Court?
- The Kinds of Cases Heard in Small Claims Courts
- The Kinds of Cases Not Heard in Small Claims Courts
- Costs Associated with Small Claims Court
- Why Can’t I Have a Lawyer?
- Why Can’t I Have a Jury?
- Enforcing a Small Claims Judgment
- Removing a Case from Small Claims Court
Part 4 - The Trial Process
- Chapter 10 - Pretrial
- Chapter 11 - Proving Your Case: Evidence
- Chapter 12 - The Trial Itself
- Chapter 13 - Coming to a Decision
- Chapter 14 - After the Trial
- Chapter 15 - Appeals
- Chapter 16 - After the Dust Clears
- Chapter 17 - Legal Malpractice
Part 5 - Alternatives to Filing Suit
- Chapter 18 - Negotiation
- Chapter 19 - Mediation
- Chapter 20 - Arbitration
- Appendix A - Glossary
- Appendix B - Resources
- Title: The Complete Idiot's Guide® To Lawsuits
- Release date: September 2010
- Publisher(s): Alpha
- ISBN: 9781615640386