Going It Alone
Given the advantages of using an agent, why would you want to try to go it alone? There are several reasons:
• You have a preexisting relationship with a publisher or editorial contacts.
• Your work is appropriate to a very specialized and identifiable publisher.
• You have a scholarly or academic work.
• Your work is of specific regional interest to a local publisher.
But remember, you need to be a strong negotiator, be savvy about the contract, and be willing to stand up and fight for yourself. This isn’t a simple process, and insiders have the advantage.
Here are a few pitfalls to watch out for:
• It’s hard to negotiate money and entitlements for yourself.
• You may find that you’ve irrevocably tied yourself, your project, ...