What Are Social Networks?
In This Chapter
• An introduction to social networking
• Rules of engagement, from etiquette to alliances
• The differences and similarities between social networking and social media
• Reasons why Facebook might not be a good option
• Three types of social networks—generic label, white label, and custom label
At its most basic, a social network is any online community where people can connect and interact. You’re probably already part of one or more social networks. Services such as Facebook (www.facebook.com
) and MySpace (www.myspace.com
) are social networks, as are Flickr (www.flickr.com
) and YouTube (www.youtube.com
). Interest-specific communities such as Etsy (www.etsy.com
, for those who buy, sell, ...