The Project Management Office (PMO)
In This Chapter
• Understanding what a PMO is
• The nature of program management
• Establishing a portfolio management strategy
• The program manager’s job in supporting projects
• How outside influences impact a PMO
It is widely believed that companies that implement Project Management Offices (PMOs) have a higher rate of overall success. Surprising (even shockingly), the Standish Group reports that companies with PMOs generally do not fare any better than those companies without PMOs. The author of the Standish survey thinks “in some cases, compliance and governance processes caused programs to run longer and be delayed … projects don’t do well, so you add governance. Then they do worse and you add ...