In This Chapter
• What reading body language is and what it isn’t
• How to avoid assumptions and blindness
• What the five-step process is to reading people
Body language experts are not psychics, and they can’t read minds. No one but Pinocchio has a built-in lie detector, and Pinocchio is a fictional character.
In the world of reading body language, we have just two rules:
1. There is no one definitive way to tell if someone is lying.
2. If anyone says there is, they’re lying.
Everything else, as with body language itself, is subject to interpretation. Body linguistics is not judging or predicting. It is the interpretation of thoughts and feelings externalized through a combination of cues—gestures, facial expressions, ...