The Complete Idiot's Guide® to Learning German, Fourth Edition couches the more academic topics, such as verb tenses, in useful travel-themed chapters dealing with everything from shopping, renting cars, banking, making a phone call, visiting a doctor, going to the post office, to banking.
This editon includes a new audio CD with nearly an hour of listen-and-learn exercises to get you speaking German like a native.
Table of contents
Part 1: Learning German Basics
- 1 Learning German
2 Pronounce It Properly: Vowels
- Vowels That May Mutate
- Linguistic Stress
- Assuming an Accent
- A Few Peculiarities of the German Language
- Classification of Vowel Sounds
- Modified Vowels
3 Pronounce It Properly: Consonants
- Conquering Consonants
- Pronunciation Guide
- Practicing Pronunciation
- 4 You Know More Than You Think
- 5 Idiomatic Expressions: Quintessentially German
Part 2: Ready, Set, Go!
- 6 Gender: More Than Male or Female
7 Guiding Grammar: Fitting Form with Function
- The Four Cases in German
- Marking Who’s Doing What to Whom
- The Case of the Definite Article
- Indefinite Articles
- Subject Pronouns
- Du and Ihr Versus Sie: Informal Versus Formal
- Du, Ihr, or Sie?
- Er, Sie, or Es?
- 8 Nuts and Bolts of German Sentences
Part 3: Up, Up, and Away!
- 9 Making Introductions and Small Talk
10 Getting to Know Family and Friends
- Family Matters
- Marking Relations?
- Breaking the Ice
- Getting Involved in Conversation
- What’s It Like?
- 11 At the Airport
- 12 Getting Around Town on Time
13 At the Hotel
- What a Hotel! Does It Have …?
- Calling Housekeeping
- Going Straight to the Top
- Clams or Coal? It’s All the Same in Money
- More Action with Verbs
- Let’s …
Part 4: Out and About in Germany
14 A Date with the Weather
- What’s the Address?!
- European Countries, According to Germans
- It’s 20°, But They’re Wearing Sandals!
- Days, Months, Seasons!
- Measures of Time
- 15 Let’s Sightsee
- 16 You’ve Got to Go Shopping
- 17 Eating on the Go: Auf dem Markt
18 Restaurant Hopping
- Where Can I Get Something to Eat Around Here? (Wo kann ich denn hier etwas zu essen bekommen?)
- Dining Out
- Waiter, I’d Like …
- Special Diets
- Something Light
- How About Some Strudel, Sweetie?
- Are You Thirsty? (Hast du Durst?)
- Good Morning, Say Cheese
- It Was Delicious
19 You’re Invited: “Would You Like to …?”
- Are You a Sports Fan?
- Express Your Desire with Mögen
- Let’s Do Something Else
- Entertaining Options
- Adverbs: Modifying Verbs
- 14 A Date with the Weather
Part 5: Angst: Solving Problems on the Go
20 What to Say when You’re Looking for Help
- A Bad Hair Day!
- I Need a Helping Hand
- To the Bank!
- Comparison Shopping
- Make Degree Evaluations
21 Doctor, Doctor: “Ich bin krank”
- Where Does It Hurt?
- Expressing Your Pain
- Finding Medications and Toiletries
- Expressing How You Feel
- 22 In the Past: Die Vergangenheit
- 20 What to Say when You’re Looking for Help
Part 6: When in Germany, Do as the Germans Do
23 Communicating: Phone, Mail, and Internet
- Using the Phone
- Und ein Handy/Mobiltelefon/Funktelefon?
- Really Using the World Wide Web
- Should You Bring Your Laptop or Tablet Computer to Germany?
- Connecting with Social Media
- Snail Mail
- Readin’ and Writin’—Yesterday
- Would You Please …
- 24 The Future Is Now: Staying a While in Germany
- 23 Communicating: Phone, Mail, and Internet
- About the Reviser
- About the Author
- Title: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning German, 4E
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): Alpha
- ISBN: 9781615643493
You might also like
Exam Ref AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals, First Edition
Prepare for Microsoft Exam AZ-900–and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of cloud services and how they …
Codeless Data Structures and Algorithms : Learn DSA Without Writing a Single Line of Code
In the era of self-taught developers and programmers, essential topics in the industry are frequently learned …
The Phoenix Project
Bill is an IT manager at Parts Unlimited. It's Tuesday morning and on his drive into …
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …