Prowling the Courthouse
In This Chapter
• Locating property transaction records
• Navigating the lower and higher court systems
• Searching for local and federal criminal records
• Accessing bankruptcy court files
• Cancelling alimony obligations
Christine called me one day. She and her boyfriend were getting married soon. Problem was, he wasn’t yet divorced from his first wife. They’d been separated for four years, but no divorce—hence, they’d never agreed to any formal alimony or child support settlements. The soon-to-be ex-wife was asking for more money than Christine thought she was entitled to. Christine, being no dummy, knew that money out of her fiancé’s pocket meant less money for her.
She wanted to know how much the ex-wife ...