Benchmarks measure the performance of an application or system on a well-defined task or set of tasks and are often designed to accomplish one or more of the following goals:
• Predict the performance of a new application or system component
• Diagnose and pinpoint performance bottlenecks
• Plan for a system’s future capacity
• Determine the impact of a change to an application, such as a change to application code or a change in a hardware or software component
• Ensure a minimum level of performance
• Compare components, such as different database drivers
Performance is typically measured by throughput, scalability, response time, or a combination.
In our line of work, we see a significant number of ...