Chapter 17. Takeovers
Takeovers always present tricky decisions for investors, whatever their original motives for buying the shares. On the positive side:
- You will almost always be offered a premium value for your shares.
- Most offers are in cash or have a cash alternative so you can take your money and choose another investment.
- If the company you invested in had failed to live up to your expectations you are rescued from your misjudgement.
- Share prices go up after bid approaches so you have the opportunity to get out immediately rather than await the outcome of the battle.
- Even if the bid fails, the shares may not fall all the way back to their previous level so the value of your shares has increased (although this is not particularly ...