The Essentials of Android Application Development LiveLessons (Second Edition) provides developers with a hands-on introduction to Android application development, covering the most important classes and techniques.
In this video training, Ian starts with the installation of Android Studio, configuring an emulator, preparing a device for development, and creating a simple “hello world” app. He then systematically covers each of the essential parts of Android application development, starting with views, activities, and fragments. Using an AsyncTask to perform background operations comes next, and then services, BroadcastReceivers, and system notifications are explained. The video continues with saving data via SharedPreferences and the file system and enhancing the UI with themes and animations and finishes with tips for becoming more efficient with Android Studio and how to submit an app to the Play Store. After watching this video series, developers will be able to create Android applications from scratch and dive into advanced Android topics.
About the Instructor
Ian G. Clifton is a passionate Android application developer and user experience advocate. He’s worked on solo projects and led complete teams developing many well-known Android apps such as Saga, CNET News, CBS News, Survivor, Big Brother, and Rick Steve’s Audio Europe. His love of technology, art, and user experience has led him to do platform, web, and desktop development in addition to Android development; he has also authored The Essentials of Android Application Development LiveLessons video series and the Android User Interface Design book.
- Beginner to intermediate
What You Will Learn
- Install and use Android Studio
- Create an Android application
- Customize the UI with views, themes, and animations
- Run code in the background
- Create and use services, BroadcastReceivers, and system notifications
- Save data to SharedPreferences and the file system
- Become efficient with Android Studio and submit an app to the Play Store
Who Should Take This Course
- Developers who want to quickly learn the core of Android application development
- Basic understanding of programming and development
- Familiarity with the Java programming language
About LiveLessons Video Training
The LiveLessons Video Training series publishes hundreds of hands-on, expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. This professional and personal technology video series features world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, IBM Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que. Topics include: IT Certification, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, Home and Office Technologies, Business and Management, and more. View all LiveLessons on InformIT at http://www.informit.com/livelessons.
Table of Contents
- Lesson 1: Creating Your First Android App
- Lesson 2: Building the User Interface
- Lesson 3: Creating More Screens
- Lesson 4: Running in the Background the Simple Way
- Lesson 5: Interacting with a Service
- Lesson 6: Saving Simple Data
- Lesson 7: Enhancing Your User Interface
- Lesson 8: Rounding Out Your Knowledge
- Title: The Essentials of Android Application Development LiveLessons (Video Training)
- Release date: March 2015
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780134068152