Throughout the history of business employees had to adapt to managers and managers had to adapt to organizations. In the future this is reversed with managers and organizations adapting to employees. This means that in order to succeed and thrive organizations must rethink and challenge everything they know about work.
The demographics of employees are changing and so are employee expectations, values, attitudes, and styles of working. Conventional management models must be replaced with leadership approaches adapted to the future employee. Organizations must also rethink their traditional structure, how they empower employees, and what they need to do to remain competitive in a rapidly changing world.
This is a book about how employees of the future will work, how managers will lead, and what organizations of the future will look like.
The Future of Work will help you:
Stay ahead of the competition
Create better leaders
Tap into the freelancer economy
Attract and retain top talent
Structure effective teams
Embrace flexible work environments
Adapt to the changing workforce
Build the organization of the future
The book features uncommon examples and easy to understand concepts which will challenge and inspire you to work differently.
Table of contents
- Praise for The Future of Work
- Title Page
- Introduction: Rethinking Chess and Work
- Chapter 1: The Five Trends Shaping the World of Work
- Chapter 2: The Cog: Today's Employee
Chapter 3: Seven Principles of the Future Employee
- The Three Components of Flexible Work
- Flexibility as a Way to Attract and Retain Top Talent
- Why Isn't Everyone Doing It if It's So Great?
- Some Benefits
- What About Face-to-Face Communication?
- The End of the Traditional Work Schedule
- Modular Work
- Sharing and Stack Ranking
- The Declining Value of Colleges
- New Crucial Employee Behaviors
- Support the Future Employee
- Existing Employees
- Evolution of the Employee
- Chapter 4: The Freelancer Economy
- Chapter 5: The Zookeeper: Today's Manager
Chapter 6: Ten Principles of the Future Manager
- Must Be a Leader
- Following from the Front
- Understanding Technology and How Employees Work
- Lead by Example
- Embrace Vulnerability
- Belief in Sharing and Collective Intelligence
- Be a Fire Starter
- Real-Time Recognition, Feedback, and Engagement
- Conscious of Personal Boundaries
- Adapt to the Future Employee
- Evolution of the Manager
- Hiring and Promoting the Right People
Chapter 7: The Managerless Company
- How Do Employees Get Hired or Fired?
- How Do Employees Figure Out What Projects to Work On?
- Who Leads the Projects?
- Who Steers the Ship?
- What About Career Paths and Choices?
- What About Raises or Promotions?
- What Happens If Something Goes Wrong?
- What Makes These Companies Work?
- The Benefits of a Managerless Company
- Issues with Managerless Companies
- Is This Right for You?
- Chapter 8: The Organization of Today
Chapter 9: Fourteen Principles of the Future Organization
- The Ringelmann Effect
- Connected Workforce
- Operate Like a Small Company
- Focus on “Want” Instead of “Need”
- Adapts to Change Faster
- Innovation from Anywhere, All the Time, and Creating Ecosystems
- Runs in the Cloud
- Sees More Women in Senior Management Roles
- Flatter Organizations and Decentralized Decision Making
- Tells Stories
- Democratize Learning and Teaching
- Shift from Profit to Prosperity
- The Four Roadblocks of the Future Organization
- The Evolution of the Organization
- Chapter 10: Technology as the Central Nervous System
- Chapter 11: The Six-Step Process for Adapting to the Future of Work: How to Become the Future Organization (and Stay That Way!)
- Chapter 12: Rethinking Work
- The FOW Community (dedicated to the future of work and collaboration)
- End User License Agreement
- Title: The Future of Work: Attract New Talent, Build Better Leaders, and Create a Competitive Organization
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118877241
You might also like
Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career
A one-page tool to reinvent yourself and your career The global bestseller Business Model Generation introduced …
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
Business Model Generation is a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers striving to defy outmoded …
What skills will matter most for work, business and life in the future? Where should you …
Why Digital Transformations Fail
Former Procter & Gamble Vice President for IT and Shared Services, Tony Saldanha gives you the …