The number one reason cited in exit interviews for an employee quitting is “my manager.” Most managers and executives not only aren’t aware of this obvious problem, but probably wouldn’t know what to do about it if they did.
Today’s employees do not respond to the old hands-on, militaristic management styles. They are highly independent, individual professionals with their own fully developed ideas. Leaders and managers who try to micro-manage them will inevitably confront wide-spread disgruntlement, absenteeism, and turnover...and increase their own and their employees’ stress levels.
In The Hands-Off Manager, Chandler and Black offer a new vision for all managers. With stories, examples, and vibrant activities for the reader to practice, this book shows any manager—new or seasoned—how to coach and mentor employees rather than hover over their shoulders and goad them into action.
In this system, each employee’s strengths are honored and honed in a climate of partnership and mutual goal-setting. Chandler, whose 100 Ways to Motivate Others is a bestselling favorite with small and large businesses alike, has called The Hands-Off Manager “my most original work to date” because it finally solves the age-old problem of getting the best performance out of people without frustrating yourself and them.
The Hands-Off Manager and its breakthrough content will take its place beside In Search of Excellence, The One Minute Manager, and Who Moved My Cheese as an instant classic that will forever change the way we lead and manage.
Steve Chandler is one of America’s best-selling authors whose 14 books—including the best-sellers 100 Ways to Motivate Others, 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself, and Reinventing Yourself—have been translated into more than 15 languages. Chandler was recently named to the faculty at the University of Santa Monica and also starred in an episode of NBC’s Starting Over, the Emmy-award-winning reality show about life-coaching. Chandler has been a trainer and consultant to more than 30 Fortune 500 companies worldwide.
Duane Black is the executive vice president and chief operating officer of SunCor Developments, where he oversees 150 employees and more than 150,000 acres of current and future housing developments
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- INTRODUCTION PART TWO
- CHAPTER ONE - TAKING YOUR POWER BACK
- CHAPTER TWO - REDEFINING SUCCESS FOR YOURSELF
- CHAPTER THREE - USING THE POWER OF NEUTRAL
- CHAPTER FOUR - USING FOCUS AND INTENTION
- CHAPTER FIVE - QUESTIONS LEADING TO SUCCESS
- CHAPTER SIX - INSPIRED IDEAS LEAD TO SUCCESS
- CHAPTER SEVEN - PRACTICE FINDING AN INNER VISION
- CHAPTER EIGHT - REVERSING YOUR PROCESS
- CHAPTER NINE - TUNING YOUR INSTRUMENT
- CHAPTER TEN - BECOMING AVAILABLE
- CHAPTER ELEVE - LETTING GO OF JUDGMENT
- CHAPTER TWELVE - CREATING RESULTS
- CHAPTER THIRTEEN - WAKING UP TO THE WHOLE SYSTEM
- CHAPTER FOURTEEN - DEEPENING YOUR DESIRES
- CHAPTER FIFTEEN - LIVING IN THREE WORLDS
CHAPTER SIXTEEN - THE HANDS-OFF MANAGER AS COACH
- Can you coach another person so that the person really changes?
- What to do when coaching doesn’t work
- Stop giving unsolicited advice
- Coaching is about what’s possible
- A system at play in every workplace
- Know when to fold ’em
- If it’s not fun, you’re not doing it right
- The ultimate level of coaching
- Steps to hands-off success in your life
- RECOMMENDED READIN
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Also by Steve Chandler
- Title: The Hands-Off Manager
- Release date: March 2007
- Publisher(s): Career Press
- ISBN: 9781564149503
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …
English Grammar Workbook For Dummies, with Online Practice, 3rd Edition
Improve your English grammar You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using proper …
7 Principles of Transformational Leadership
In the world of work, the single greatest asset of successful individuals, teams, and organizations is …