Peter Hurley is well known among headshot and portrait
photographers as a passionate photographer and teacher. His
business has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years, and
he is a go-to resource as both a photographer and an educator. He
teaches his own workshops, and is a regular instructor at
conferences such as Photo Plus, WPPI, and Photoshop World.
In The Headshot: The Secrets to Creating Amazing Headshot Portraits, Hurley shares everything the reader needs to know in order to get great images of their subjects–whether it's on assignment, a personal project, or simply shots of family and friends. Starting with his trademark "recipe"–"white background, flat light, chopped-off heads"–in over a dozen chapters he covers the following: the technical aspects of the shot, including lighting, composition, and camera setup; establishing a rapport with your subject, as well as provoking thought in order to drive expression; and how to direct the subject, including detailed discussions of how to influence the jaw, the smile, the eyes, and the eyebrows. With The Headshot, readers will be equipped to dramatically improve their headshot photographs–from lighting to composition to directing the best expression from their subjects.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- About the Author
- Chapter 1. The Headshot Recipe That Started It All
- Chapter 2. Hitting the Technical on the Head
Chapter 3. The Art of Sherlock Holmesing
- Sherlock Holmesing?
- What’s Their Side?
- Finding a Side Builds Confidence
- Finding the Flaw
- Create a Mental Checklist
- Hammer Them Down to Lift Them Back Up
- Concluding the Holmesing
- Chapter 4. My Lethal Combination
- Chapter 5. Lights, Camera, Action...or Not
- Chapter 6. What’s in Your Director’s Toolbox?
- Chapter 7. It All Starts With the Jaw
- Chapter 8. The Beauty of the Human Smile
- Chapter 9. Make ‘em Squinch
Chapter 10. The Hurley System
- Start by Building Your Shots from the Ground Up
- Step 1: Get That Body on the Move!
- Step 2: Freewheeling with That Head!
- Step 3: Primp That Hair and Clothing!
- Step 4: Frame That Sucker Up!
- Step 5: Get That Face Moving!
- Step 6: Firing at Will!
- Step 7: Repeat to Keep Their Juices Flowing!
Chapter 11. Signature Moves: Firing Up a Li’l Direct Direction
- Suction Cup to the Face
- Karate Chop to the Face
- Follow the Finger with the Nose
- Let’s Get That Jaw Where We Need It
- Lean Toward the Camera
- Hook It!
- Tilt/Un-Tilt Move
- Still Can’t Get a Jaw Line? Here’s a Move
- Let’s Get Those Arms Where We Need Them
- Have Them Hold Their Sub
- Miniscule Smile
- The Squinch
- Pterodactyl Neck
- Shoulders One Way, Face the Other
- Brows, Brows & More Brows, People!
- Chapter 12. My Greatest Discovery: Direction by Misdirection
- Chapter 13. Hurleyisms
- Title: The Headshot: The Secrets to Creating Amazing Headshot Portraits
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780133928822
You might also like
Secrets of Great Portrait Photography: Photographs of the Famous and Infamous
In this sexy, bold book, Pulitzer-Prize winning photographer Brian Smith tells the stories behind the photos …
Creative Black and White, 2nd Edition
Black-and-white photography poses unique challenges; without color to guide the eye, contrast, lighting, and composition take …
Picture Perfect Posing: Practicing the Art of Posing for Photographers and Models
Photographer, author, and educator Roberto Valenzuela has a proven track record for teaching and explaining difficult …
Dynamic Posing Guide: Modern Techniques for Digital Photographers
Tips, techniques, and inspiration for creating perfect poses Effectively posing the human body is a challenge …