The IMS: IP Multimedia Concepts and Services in the Mobile Domain, Second Edition, builds on the success of the previous best-selling edition, providing comprehensive coverage of IMS – its concepts, architecture, protocols and functionalities with a wealth of new and updated material.
Mobile telephony with the current technology has been hugely successful and demonstrates the immense value of communicating with peers while being mobile, and with increasingly available smarter multimedia terminals, the communication experience will be something more than just exchanging voice. These multimedia terminals need IP multimedia networks. Hence the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) has developed a standard for SIP-based IP multimedia service machinery known as 'The IMS' (IP Multimedia Subsystem). This completely up-to-date and informative guide explains everything you need to know about it...
Key features of the Second Edition include:
Two new chapters on push-to-talk over cellular and group management.
Additional new material includes: fixed and mobile convergence, interworking between IPv4 and IPv6 in the IMS, combined circuit-switched and IMS services (combinational services), IMS security and alternative session establishment procedures.
More coverage of the benefits of IMS, particularly with regard to its role in fixed-mobile convergence.
Special emphasis on services, featuring more detailed descriptions of presence, messaging, group management and push-to-talk over cellular (conferencing).
Updates on Third Generation Partnership Project Agreement (3GPP) Release 6 level.
New examples and case studies, including a variety of scenarios, how to handle multiple terminals and end-user preferences.
Written in a manner that allows readers to choose the level of knowledge and understanding they need to gain about the IMS, this volume will have instant appeal to a wide ranging audience including marketing managers, research and development engineers, network engineers, developes, test engineers and university students.
Table of contents
- Foreword by Petri Pöyhönen
- Foreword by Alan Duric
IMS Architecture and Concepts
- IP Multimedia Subsystem architecture
- Mechanism to register multiple user identities at a go
- Session initiation
- Identity modules
- Sharing a single user identity between multiple devices
- Discovering the IMS entry point
- S-CSCF assignment
- Mechanism for controlling bearer traffic
- User profile
- Service provision
- Connectivity between traditional CS users and IMS users
- Fixed and mobile convergence
- SIP compression
- Interworking between IPv4 and IPv6 in the IMS
- Combination of CS and IMS services – combinational services
- Security services in the IMS
- Who will use the presence service?
- Presence-enhanced services
- Presence contributing to business
- What is presence?
- SIP for presence
- Presence service architecture in IMS
- Presentity list
- Setting presence authorization
- Publishing presence
- Watcher information event template package
- Example signalling flows of presence service operation
- Push to talk Over Cellular
- Group management
- Introduction to detailed procedures
An example IMS registration
- Signalling PDP context establishment
- P-CSCF discovery
- Transport protocols
- SIP registration and registration routing aspects
- Access security – IPsec SAs
- SIP Security Mechanism Agreement
- Compression negotiation
- Access and location information
- Charging-related information during registration
- User identities
- Re-registration and re-authentication
- Early IMS Security
- An example IMS session
- The Offer/Answer Model with SDP
- Signalling Compression
- Common Policy
- Title: The IMS: IP Multimedia Concepts And Services, Second Edition
- Release date: March 2006
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470019061
You might also like
Practical Guide Provides Students and Industry Professionals with Latest Information on 5G Mobile Networks Continuing the …
5G System Design
This book provides a comprehensive overview of the latest research and standardization progress towards the 5th …
5G NR: Architecture, Technology, Implementation, and Operation of 3GPP New Radio Standards is an in-depth, systematic, …
Implementing SSL/TLS Using Cryptography and PKI
Hands-on, practical guide to implementing SSL and TLS protocols for Internet security If you are a …