It's the Subtleties that Matter!
What is the real difference between competent leader and extraordinary executive? Is it pedigree, experience, intelligence? The answer is yes...and much more. Exceptional leadership hinges on a complex interaction between individual psychology and unique business needs. At the top rung of the ladder, where the dynamics are most complicated, subtle adjustments in style can produce outstanding results.
In his new book, The Intangibles of Leadership, Management Psychologist Richard Davis, Ph.D., uncovers patterns in the attributes that truly distinguish those who succeed at the top. What he found was that extraordinary leaders possess certain characteristics that fall between the lines of existing leadership models, yet are fundamental to executive success. Davis explains each of these qualities, the people who exemplify them, how to detect them in others, and most importantly, how to develop the subtle characteristics that will enable them to stand out from the pack.
Table of contents
- WHAT IS IT?
- HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- WHY IT MATTERS
- THE BOTTOM LINE
- 2.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 2.2. THE MOTIVES, VALUES, AND PREFERENCES INVENTORY
- 2.3. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 2.4. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 2.5. WHY IT MATTERS
- 2.6. THE BOTTOM LINE
3. Executive Maturity
- 3.1. WHAT IS IT?
3.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 3.2.1. They can mix it up
- 3.2.2. They don't get defensive
- 3.2.3. They take a moment
- 3.2.4. They acknowledge emotions but deal with them intellectually
- 3.2.5. They demonstrate emotional bandwidth
- 3.2.6. They stay cool under pressure
- 3.2.7. They help others deal with emotion
- 3.2.8. They don't hold grudges, obsess over lost opportunities, or pursue vendettas
- 3.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 3.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 3.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 4.1. WHAT IS IT?
4.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 4.2.1. They don't lie, they don't cheat, and they keep their promises
- 4.2.2. They're mensches
- 4.2.3. Even though they're nice, they don't finish last
- 4.2.4. They rarely deviate from their principles . . .
- 4.2.5. . . . but they're open to change
- 4.2.6. They put others first
- 4.2.7. They lead by example
- 4.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 4.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 4.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
5. Social Judgment
- 5.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 5.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
5.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 5.3.1. Payattentiontophysicalbehaviors
- 5.3.2. Watch how decisions are made
- 5.3.3. Interpret the emotions behind behaviors
- 5.3.4. Step back and observe meeting dynamics
- 5.3.5. Pay attention to how people interact with each other
- 5.3.6. Find a taxonomy of personality that works for you
- 5.3.7. When trying to read others, reflect on your own successes and failures
- 5.3.8. Understand, but don't play politics
- 5.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 5.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 6.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 6.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
6.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 6.3.1. Mental Aspects
- 6.3.2. Physical Aspects
- 6.3.3. General
- 6.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 6.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 7.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 7.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 7.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 7.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 7.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 8.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 8.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 8.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 8.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 8.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 9.1. WHAT IS IT?
- 9.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 9.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 9.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 9.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- 10.1. WHAT IS IT?
10.2. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WHEN YOU SEE IT?
- 10.2.1. They reveal their blemishes
- 10.2.2. They talk about specific moments of failure
- 10.2.3. They make greater-good decisions
- 10.2.4. They are authentic and comfortable in their own skin
- 10.2.5. They don't equate risk-taking with fear of failure
- 10.2.6. They aren't freaked out by having talent around them
- 10.2.7. They're magnets
- 10.3. HOW DO YOU GET IT?
- 10.4. WHY IT MATTERS
- 10.5. THE BOTTOM LINE
- Title: The Intangibles of Leadership: The 10 Qualities of Superior Executive Performance
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470679159
You might also like
All the Leader You Can Be: The Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence
The book that cracks the code on executive presence: what it is, why it matters, and …
The Complete Executive: The 10-Step System for Great Leadership Performance
Being a leader requires much more than just understanding how to run a business. Today’s executive …
Enhancing Your Executive Edge: How to Develop the Skills to Lead and Succeed
Build your career by design not by accident Why do some people get to the top …
Feedback to Managers: A Guide to Reviewing and Selecting Multirater Instruments for Leadership Development 4th Edition
Feedback is a rare commodity in day-to-day organizational life, but it is a key to ongoing …