Why do interviews go wrong?
THIS CHAPTER LOOKS AT:
- What typically goes wrong, and why
- The misguided assumptions we make about interview results
- Seeing the difference between long shots and near-misses
- The 10 per cent rule
- What decision makers say about the process
NOT QUITE THE RESULT I WAS LOOKING FOR ...
Having looked at what a great performance looks like, time for some diagnostics about what can go wrong. Interviews do sometimes get you unpredictable results. If you knew exactly why, you’d adjust your performance unassisted and you wouldn’t need this book.
Some activities in life are fairly predictable, but job interviews present several multiple, mysterious realities:
- Questions came up that you didn’t expect.
- You found ...