Readers who are familiar with The New Communications Technologies will see a number of changes in the fifth edition, including the following:
• Chapters have been updated to explore new applications and technological trends.
• Topics have been updated where appropriate.
• The chapters contain new illustrations.
• The chapters have been reorganized to enhance the subject flow.
• Legal discussions have been expanded, with topics ranging from First Amendment issues to copyright and privacy. This is one of this edition’s most important improvements. The legal discussions also cut across social and political issues. For example, in Chapter 1 we discuss how biometric technology is used to create more secure identification systems ...