Book descriptionThe truly effective leader today must be one who leads others to lead themselves. The rapid pace of change demands fast and flexible responses throughout the organization-there's no time to wait for directives from the top. And the highly-skilled workers so vital to organizational success also demand a high degree of independence. Old-fashioned command-and-control leadership is just too slow and stifling.
Charles Manz and Henry Sims, Jr. pioneered the concept self-leadership in their bestselling book SuperLeadership. In The New SuperLeadership, the authors present new content and examples designed to help leaders develop the kind of autonomous, quick-reacting workforce necessary to thrive in these turbulent times. This enriched and expanded edition takes the concepts in the first edition to another level by emphasizing a pragmatic, how-to approach for developing leaders at every level of the organization.
Drawing on contemporary examples and profiles, many from the high-tech and information sectors, Manz and Sims shatter the myth of the traditional, aggrandized versions of "heroic" leadership. They show that a leader truly becomes successful by turning followers into extraordinary self-leaders-pillars of strength that will support the organization at every level. They detail a series of action-oriented steps through which the SuperLeader provides an opportunity for followers to express and develop their own leadership skills-and in the process become highly motivated, dynamic contributors.
The New SuperLeadership critically reviews traditional leadership styles, vividly illustrating the drawbacks of each: the "Strong Man" whose reliance on fear-based compliance smothers initiative; the "Transactor" who promotes a narrow "what's in it for me?" mentality; and the "Visionary Hero" whose powerful personality inspires commitment but inadvertently discourages independent thinking. By bringing out the leader in every employee, SuperLeadership enables leaders to avoid these pitfalls and develop an enthusiastic, innovative and energized workforce.
The New SuperLeadership is a radically new way of looking at leadership, offering a leadership paradigm ideally suited to the realities of the modern workplace. It reveals that the only way to succeed today is to tap into the innate leadership potential that lies within every employee.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: A Call for SuperLeadership
Part I The Ghosts of Leadership: Past, Present, and Future
1 Leadership in the 21st Century
- THE TECHNOLOGICAL REVOLUTION
- THE ORGANIZATION OF THE 21 ST CENTURY
- PEOPLE OF THE INFORMATION REVOLUTION
- LEADERSHIP FOR THE 21 ST CENTURY
- WHAT IS SELF-LEADERSHIP AND SUPERLEADERSHIP?
- EMPLOYEE SELF-LEADERSHIP IS THE KEY TO 21ST CENTURY LEADERSHIP
- SUPERLEADERSHIP VERSUS TRADITIONAL VIEWS OF LEADERSHIP
- THE CHALLENGE AND OPPORTUNITY OF LEADING IN THE NEW ERA
- Dennis Bakke of AES Corporation
- 2 The Strongman, Transactor, Visionary Hero, and SuperLeader
- Chainsaw Al— SuperLeader Not!
- 3 SuperLeadership 101: The Basics for Unleashing Self-Leadership
- Percy Barnevik of ABB
- 1 Leadership in the 21st Century
Part II Self-Leadership Strategies: Leading the One in the Mirror
- 4 Self-Leadership in Action
- Carly Fiorina of Hewlett-Packard
- 5 Self-Leadership Through Natural Rewards
- 6 Self-Leadership of the Mind
- SuperLeadership in the Information Age—Leading By Creating Knowledge Self-Leaders
Part III SuperLeadership— It’s in the Details
- 7 Leading Others to Lead Themselves
- MacGregor—Insisting On Self-Leadership
- 8 Leading Individuals to Become Self-Leaders
- Herb Kelleher of Southwest Airlines
- 9 Leading Teams to Self-Leadership
- Joe Paterno and Phil Jackson— SuperLeadership in Sports
- 10 Leading Organizational Cultures to Self-Leadership
- (More) Dennis Bakke of AES Corporation
Part IV SuperLeadership in the 21st Century
- 11 Leadership: A Hero or Hero-Maker?
- About the Authors
- Title: The New SuperLeadership
- Release date: January 2001
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781605097152
You might also like
Introduction to Probability
Developed from celebrated Harvard statistics lectures, Introduction to Probability provides essential language and tools for understanding …
Critical Thinking Skills For Dummies
Turbocharge your reasoning with Critical Thinking Just what are the ingredients of a great argument? What …
Intrinsic Motivation at Work, 2nd Edition
In today's organizations engagement is vital—more is being required of workers than ever. In this new …
The Complete Project Manager, 2nd Edition
The Complete Project Manager, 2nd Edition updates a respected textbook on project management soft skills to …