The social web has changed the way we do business forever
The future of your company is not in measured, considered responses and carefully planned initiatives. Business today is about near-instantaneous response. About doing the best you can with extremely limited information. About every customer being a reporter, and every reporter being a customer. About winning and losing customers in real-time, every second of every day. About a monumental increase in the findable commentary about our companies.
Having the time and information required to make a considered business decision is a luxury - a luxury that's quickly facing extinction. Yet business hasn't adapted to this evolution. And adapt you must.
This book isn't about how to "do" social media. Instead, The Now Revolution outlines how you must retool your organization to make real-time business work for you rather than against you. Read about seven shifts that will help you make your company faster, smarter, and more social:
Engineer a New Bedrock
Find Talent You Can Trust
Organize your Armies
Answer the New Telephone
Build a Fire Extinguisher
Make a Calculator
The Now Revolution is pushing you to adapt the way you do business, from the inside out. It impacts your organization culturally, operationally, and functionally. This book is your guide to making the changes you need, and to harnessing the potential of this new communication era.
Table of Contents
1. Engineer a New Bedrock
- 1.1. What You're Made Of: Harnessing Intent
- 1.2. We, The People
- 1.3. Ritz-Carlton's Culture in Action
- 1.4. Real-Time Leadership
- 1.5. 5 Attributes of a Healthy Real-Time Culture
- 1.6. Shields Up: Cultural Roadblocks to Social Media
- 1.7. Assessing Your Company Culture
- 1.8. Righting the Ship: Guiding Culture Shift and Adaptation
- 1.9. Getting It Done: Engineering a New Bedrock
2. Find Talent You Can Trust
- 2.1. A Purposeful Team
- 2.2. A New Approach to Hiring
- 2.3. Personal Characteristics and Traits
- 2.4. Skill Sets: The Rise of the Generalist
- 2.5. Connected Talent and Mutual Value
- 2.6. The New Organizational Chart of Now
- 2.7. A Note on Butts in Seats
- 2.8. Immersion and Education
- 2.9. Motivation
- 2.10. So Long, Farewell: Preparing for Departures
- 2.11. Getting There: Finding Talent You Can Trust
3. Organize Your Armies
- 3.1. So, Who Owns This Stuff?
- 3.2. Staying Flexible
- 3.3. The Game Plan: Building Integrated Social Media Teams
- 3.4. Broadening Your Horizons
- 3.5. Build Your Unofficial Marketing Team
- 3.6. Establishing Social Media Guidelines
- 3.7. Where Does Our Agency Fit?
- 3.8. Social Media Training and Optimization
- 3.9. Getting There: Organizing Your Armies
4. Answer the New Telephone
- 4.1. The Social Phone is Ringing
- 4.2. What We Mean by Listening
- 4.3. Opening a Channel
- 4.4. Listening Intersections
- 4.5. Listening Models
- 4.6. Getting There: Answering the New Telephone
5. Emphasize Response-Ability
- 5.1. Follow the Humanization Highway
- 5.2. Be Tools Agnostic
- 5.3. Internal Social Media: Pulling on the Same Rope
- 5.4. Fueling the Engine: How You Engage
- 5.5. Faster! When You Engage
- 5.6. The Opportunity Economy: Why You Engage
- 5.7. Getting There: Emphasizing Response-Ability
6. Build a Fire Extinguisher
- 6.1. A Mountain Out of a Mole Hill
- 6.2. The Importance of Life Preservers
- 6.3. Social Media Crisis Management: Eight Components to Recovery
- 6.4. Getting There: Build a Fire Extinguisher
7. Make a Calculator
- 7.1. One Equals One
- 7.2. Measure Ability
- 7.3. Caution, Paradox Ahead
- 7.4. Goals First, KPI Second
7.5. Create Awareness
- 7.5.1. Do You Have Access to Web Analytics Data?
- 7.5.2. Are You Creating Content and Either Participating or Storytelling?
- 7.5.3. Is There Existing Social Chatter About You?
- 7.5.4. Do You Have Competitors Active in Social Media?
- 7.5.5. Are You Using Twitter as a Social Media Tactic?
7.6. Drive Sales
- 7.6.1. Do You Have Access to Customer and Prospect Names and E-Mail Addresses?
- 7.6.2. Do You Have Access to Web Analytics Data?
- 7.6.3. Can You Create Coupons or Special Offers?
- 7.6.4. Is There Existing Social Chatter About You?
7.7. Build Loyalty
- 7.7.1. Do You Have Access to Customer and Prospect Names and E-Mail Addresses?
- 7.7.2. Is There Existing Social Chatter About You?
- 7.7.3. Are There Web Sites Where Your Company Is Rated or Reviewed?
- 7.7.4. Are You Creating Content and Either Participating or Storytelling?
- 7.7.5. Do You Have Access to Customer Service Data?
- 7.7.6. Are You Operating a Brand Community?
- 7.8. Less Is More
- 7.9. The ROI Quandary
- 7.10. Communicating Results
- 7.11. You Don't Make a Scrapbook out of Data
- 7.12. Getting There: Making a Calculator
- Where Do We Go from Here?
- Title: The NOW Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social
- Release date: February 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470923276