The Official Joomla! Book demonstrates how to
build a web presence using Joomla!, the world’s most popular
open source Content Management System. Written by two veteran
Joomla! project contributors with years of experience building
Joomla! websites, the book explains website design and structure
and how to use Joomla! to create an effective online presence.
Chapters cover what you need to know before you install Joomla!,
all the way through keeping the momentum going with your website
after it is created. The book includes practical examples and
discussions of how to expand your website with extensions in ways
that are sensible for long-term site management. The final chapter
of the book provides in-depth interviews with a number of Joomla!
community leaders, developers, and contributors.
The Official Joomla! Book offers an explanation of the Joomla! project and community, with information on the official sites, how to use them, and the many ways people of all experience levels can become participants and contributors. The book provides helpful step-by-step instructions and direction for those without any experience in creating websites, as well as tips and information for experienced web administrators and creators. Topics include
How Joomla! came into being and a description of the community that surrounds it
Domain names, finding a good host, color schemes, and branding
Working with sample content to understand how Joomla! works
Templating for Joomla!, as well as how to edit the default templates
Using extensions, discussion of top pick extensions, and explanations of what they do
Creating meaningful navigation, content, and structure
Search engine optimization
Promotions, marketing, and social networking
Practical site examples for business, non-profit, and education
Interviews with Joomla! experts, including how they found Joomla!, their contributions to the project, and insights into their specialties and expertise areas
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- 1. All About Joomla!
- 2. What Now and Where Do I Begin: Before You Install Joomla!
- 3. Installing and Configuring Joomla!
- 4. Working with and Creating Content for Your Joomla! Site
- 5. Customizing Templates and the Basics of Templates for Joomla!
- 6. The Basics of Joomla! Extensions: Components, Modules, Plugins, and Languages
- 7. Caring for Your Joomla! Web Site and Helpful Tips
- 8. Practical Application: Joomla! for Business
- 9. Practical Application: Joomla! for NGOs/NPOs, Groups, Clubs, and Organizations
- 10. Practical Application: Joomla! for Education
- 11. A Look at Joomla! 1.6 and the Future
- 12. Interviews with Experts
- A. Common Problems and Solutions
- B. Resources
- C. A Look at Joomla! 1.6 ACL
- D. Managing Content in Joomla! 1.6
- E. Working with Templates in Joomla! 1.6
- F. Creating Menus in Joomla! 1.6
- G. Joomla! 1.6 Education Site
- Title: The Official Joomla!™ Book
- Release date: December 2010
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780132599788