Ubuntu is a complete, free operating system that emphasizes ease of use, community, and support while enhancing speed, power, and flexibility. It is designed for everyone from computer novices to experts.
This title serves a wide audience: novices who just want to test the waters and give Ubuntu a try, intermediate users, and those who want to take the next step toward becoming power users. It is not intended as a guide to highly technical uses like professional systems administration or programming, although there is some technical material here; the focus is on learning the landscape.
New in this edition is deep coverage of the groundbreaking, user-experience-focused Unity desktop, an innovative new style of human—computer interaction that has undergone extensive development and testing to provide powerful, industry-leading usability.
In addition, you will
Learn how to use and customize Ubuntu for home, small business, school, government, and enterprise environments
Learn how to quickly update Ubuntu to new release versions with upgraded applications
Find up-to-the-minute troubleshooting advice from Ubuntu users worldwide to get the help you need quickly
Learn Ubuntu Server installation and administration, including LVM and RAID implementation
The DVD includes the complete Ubuntu Linux operating system for installation on PC platforms. The disk is preconfigured with an outstanding desktop environment for both home and business computing, for novices and advanced users.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for Previous Editions of The Official Ubuntu Book
- Dedication Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Foreword to the Sixth Edition
- Foreword to the First Edition
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1. The Ubuntu Story
- Chapter 2. Installing Ubuntu
- Chapter 3. Getting Started with Ubuntu
- Chapter 4. Becoming an Ubuntu Power User
- Chapter 5. Finding and Installing Ubuntu Applications
- Chapter 6. Customizing Ubuntu for Performance, Accessibility, and Fun
- Chapter 7. Welcome to the Command Line
- Chapter 8. The Ubuntu Server
- Chapter 9. Ubuntu-Related Projects and Derivatives
- Chapter 10. The Ubuntu Community
- Title: The Official Ubuntu Book
- Release date: June 2012
- Publisher(s): Prentice Hall
- ISBN: 9780133017618