* How can you use a state's film tax credits to fund your film? SEE PAGE 63.
* You have an idea you want to pitch to a production company; how do you safeguard your concept? SEE PAGE 77.
* How can you fund your production with product placement? SEE PAGE 157.
* How do you get a script to popular Hollywood actors and deal with their agents? SEE PAGE 222.
Find quick answers to these and hundreds of other questions in this new edition of The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers. This no-nonsense reference provides fast answers in plain English-no law degree required! Arm yourself with the practical advice of author Thomas Crowell, a TV-producer-turned-entertainment-lawyer.
This new edition features:
* New sections on product placement, film tax credits and production incentive financing, Letters of Intent, and DIY distribution (four-walling, YouTube, Download-to-own, Amazon.com, iTunes, and Netflix)
* Updated case law
* Even more charts and graphics to help you find the information you need even more quickly.
This book is the next best thing to having an entertainment attorney on retainer!
Table of Contents
- Half Title
- Full Title
- About the Author
- PART I. OVERVIEW OF THE POCKET LAWYER
PART II. LEGAL BUILDING BLOCKS: CONTRACT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- 1. COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
2. ISSUES IN FILM CONTRACTING
- Deal Points
- Who Are the Parties?
- What Are You Getting?
- What Are You Giving in Exchange for What You're Getting?
- What Rights Do You Have or Are You Giving Up?
- What Promises, Representations, and Warranties Are Being Made?
- What Protections Do You Have?
- What Rules Govern the Business Relationship Between the Parties?
- What Happens When Something Goes Wrong?
PART III. THE PRODUCTION COMPANY AND FINANCING YOUR MOVIE
- Filmmaking Is a Business
- 3. SETTING UP THE PRODUCTION COMPANY
- 4. YOUR PROFESSIONAL TEAM
- 5. FINANCING YOUR MOVIE
- 6. FILM TAX CREDITS AND OTHER PRODUCTION INCENTIVES
PART IV. DEVELOPMENT
- Creating, Acquiring, and Managing the Film Property
- 7. IDEA RIGHTS: PROTECTING YOUR PITCHES AND AVOIDING IDEA "THEFT"
- 8. CREATING A SCREENPLAY
9. ACQUIRING SCREENPLAY RIGHTS
- Buying Rights
- The Screenplay Option/Purchase
- Major Deal Points: The Option Agreement
- Major Deal Points: The Purchase Agreement
- Hiring a Screenwriter
- Goals and Deals
- Major Deal Points: Writer’s Services Agreement
- Screenplay Adaptations
- Goals and Deals
- Major Deal Points: The Literary Property Acquisition Agreement
- Life Story Rights
- Major Deal Points: Life Rights Consent and Release
- 10. CHAIN OF TITLE: THE CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR COPYRIGHT
PART V. PRE-PRODUCTION
- Production Services Agreements Agreements
- Product Placement
- Hiring Cast and Crew
- 11. THE PRODUCTION SERVICES AGREEMENT
- 12. PRODUCT PLACEMENT
- 13. HIRING CAST AND CREW
- 14. THE PRODUCER'S SERVICES AGREEMENT
- 15. THE DIRECTOR'S SERVICES AGREEMENT
- 16. CREW SERVICES AGREEMENT
- 17. PERFORMERS
PART VI. PRODUCTION
- Quiet on the Set!
- 18. EXTRAS AND DEPICTION RELEASES
- 19. LOCATIONS
- 20. WHAT'S ON THE SET?
PART VII. POST-PRODUCTION
- It's in the Can
- 21. POST-PRODUCTION STAFF
- 22. MUSIC
- 23. FILM CLIPS AND STOCK FOOTAGE
- 24. CREDITS AND COPYRIGHT NOTICE
PART VIII. DISTRIBUTION
- Selling Your Film
25. TRADITIONAL DISTRIBUTION
- What Distributors Do
- Types of Traditional Distribution Deals
- The Money Pipeline
- How Does the Money Get from a Movie Theater to the Producer?
- Distribution Rights Acquisition Agreement (Distributor's Fee Deal)
- Major Deal Points: Distribution Agreement
- Law: Copyright Issues
- Business Issues: Distributor's Expenses
- Tips for Attracting a Distributor
- 26. DIY Distribution
PART IX. CONCLUSION
- Law Library Appendices A–E
- The Law Library
- APPENDIX A: A FILMMAKER'S GUIDE TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
- APPENDIX B: A FILMMAKER'S GUIDE TO CONTRACT LAW
- APPENDIX C: THE CLAUSE COMPANION
- APPENDIX D: A FILMMAKER'S GUIDE TO LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW
- APPENDIX E: STATE FILM COMMISSION OFFICES
- BIBLIOGRAPHY AND RESOURCES
- Title: The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): Focal Press
- ISBN: 9780240813189