This biography highlights the achievements of America's first professional degreed female scientist, Ellen Swallow Richards (1842--1911). The book takes the reader from Richards's childhood on a Massachusetts farm where she was schooled at home, to her internationally renowned successes in multiple branches of science.
Schools, colleges, and libraries are searching for more books about remarkable, successful women. Richards paved the way for women to enter numerous fields of science previously believed to be the domain of men.
Currently there is much emphasis on nutrition; Richards pioneered in this field, teaching the American public about fats, carbohydrates, proteins and calories at a time when scarcely anyone knew of their importance.
Ellen Swallow Richards pioneered multiple fields of science and technology, opening doors for women to become chemists, biologists, geologists, ecologists, nutritionists, dietitians, science teachers, professors, and home economists.
Richards began the ecology movement, particularly relevant in today's world as more and more attention is being paid to the health of our planet.
Table of contents
- Half Title page
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Chapter 1: Ellencyclopedia
- Chapter 2: Westford Ho
- Chapter 3: Faith in Her Star
- Chapter 4: Setting Sights
- Chapter 5: Women Studying Together
- Chapter 6: No Wasted Minutes
- Chapter 7: She Will Not Fail
- Chapter 8: Uncharted Ground
- Chapter 9: Water Water Everywhere!
- Chapter 10: Cupid Pops into the Laboratory
- Chapter 11: Applied Scientists at Work
- Chapter 12: The Woman’s Laboratory
- Chapter 13: Long-Distance Learning
- Chapter 14: MIT’s First Woman Instructor
- Chapter 15: Pioneer for Public Health
- Chapter 16: Under Water Again
- Chapter 17: Environmental Activist
- Chapter 18: Ever on the Go
- Chapter 19: Health Food Kitchens
- Chapter 20: Healthier School Lunches—Sharper Minds
- Chapter 21: Launching a New Movement
- Chapter 22: At Work to the End
- Author’s Note
- Ellen Swallow Richards Timeline
- Source Notes
- Selected Bibliography
- Title: The Remarkable Life and Career of Ellen Swallow Richards: Pioneer in Science and Technology
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley-TMS
- ISBN: 9781118923832
You might also like
Unlock the Hidden Job Market: 6 Steps to a Successful Job Search When Times Are Tough
More than 70% of today’s job opportunities come through the “hidden job market”: they’re never , …
ASVAB AFQT For Dummies, 3rd Edition
Score higher on the ASVAB AFQT Having a stable and well-paying career in the military can …
Make: Like The Pioneers
You may have mastered Arduino and 3D printing, but what will you make when the power …
If you knew you couldn’t fail, what is the greatest thing you would dare to dream? …