Get customers, clients, and co-workers to say "yes!" in 8 minutes or less
This revised second edition by a leading expert of influence continues to teach a proven system of persuasion. Synthesizing the latest research in the field of influence with real-world tested experiences, it presents simple secrets that help readers turn a "no" into a "yes." Every secret in this book has been rigorously tested, validated, and found reliable.
Learn dozens of all-new techniques and strategies for influencing others including how to reduce resistance to rubble
Make people feel instantly comfortable in your presence
Decode body language, build credibility, and be persistent without being a pain
Expert author Kevin Hogan turns the enigmatic art of influence and persuasion into a science anyone can master
The amazing secret of The Science of Influence is its simplicity. After you read this book you will immediately understand why people say "no" to you and learn how to turn that "no" into a "yes" from that moment on.
Table of contents
- About the Author
- 1. Influencing Others to Change
2. The First Four Seconds
- 2.1. The First Impression
- 2.2. The First Appearance in Action
- 2.3. The Power of Physical Appearance
- 2.4. The Two Big Questions
- 2.5. The Science of Sexual Influence
- 2.6. Thirteen Secrets of Making a Magnetic First Impression That Will Last a Lifetime
3. The Delta Model of Influence
- 3.1. The Seven Keys to Rapport
- 3.2. The Bridge to a Client's Heart: Rapport
- 3.3. Nonverbal Rapport-Building Skills
3.4. The 21-Point Delta Model
- 3.4.1. 1. Establishing and Maintaining Rapport
- 3.4.2. 2. Using Content to Build Rapport
- 3.4.3. 3. Using Processes to Build Rapport
- 3.4.4. 4. Pacing
- 3.4.5. 5. Use of Your Voice
- 3.4.6. 6. Why Pace Breathing?
- 3.4.7. 7. Physiology and Posture
- 3.4.8. 8. Leading
- 3.4.9. 9. Leading with the Tone, Rate, or Pitch of Your Voice
- 3.4.10. 10. Leading with Physiology, Posture, and Movement
- 3.4.11. 11. Inducing Reciprocity
- 3.4.12. 12. Sharing Part of You with Them
- 3.4.13. 13. The Common Enemy
- 3.4.14. 14. A Short Story about Someone Like Them
- 3.4.15. 15. Respect
- 3.4.16. 16. Knocking Their Socks Off
- 3.4.17. 17. Always Giving More Than You Promised
- 3.4.18. 18. The Power of Understatement
- 3.4.19. 19. Be Precise: Then Beat Your Precision
- 3.4.20. 20. Get It Done Faster, Easier, Better
- 3.4.21. 21. Be on the Edge of Your Seat
3.5. Fifteen Never-Before-Revealed Secrets to Optimize Your Persuasive Messages
- 3.5.1. Primacy and Listing Order
- 3.5.2. Peripheral Cues and Central Cues
- 3.5.3. Knowing When Enough Is Enough: Before You Begin
- 3.5.4. Repetition
- 3.5.5. Dramatic Difference
- 3.5.6. Prior Knowledge
- 3.5.7. Physical Attractiveness
- 3.5.8. How Much Is Too Much?
- 3.5.9. Self-Referencing
- 3.5.10. Authority
- 3.5.11. Arousal
- 3.5.12. Directed Thinking
- 3.5.13. Unusual Claims
- 3.5.14. Checklisting
- 4. Credibility
5. The New Principles of Influence
- 5.1. Framing a Question
- 5.2. Fear of Loss versus Possibility of Gain
- 5.3. Freedom of Choice . . . or Barrier to Selling?
- 5.4. Quick Summary
- 5.5. Mine Is Best
- 5.6. Endowment Effect
- 5.7. From Your Life
- 5.8. Your Appeal Should Be to the Many or Greater Cause, Not Just Your Client
- 5.9. Competition Is a Driving Genetic Force of Survival
- 5.10. The Principle of Larger Numbers
- 5.11. Principle of We All Need Someone to Love
- 5.12. Influence and Mood
- 5.13. Influence and Product Placement
- 5.14. Influence and Community
- 5.15. Loss-of-Ownership Tactic
- 5.16. Disconfirmation-Doesn't-Cut-It Tactic
- 5.17. The Mistake of Asking the Wrong Question
- 5.18. Note-Taking Tactic
- 5.19. People Can't See the Future, So Get Them to Commit to It, Not Pay for It
- 5.20. The Inconsistency Tactic
- 5.21. The Single Differentiation Tactic!
- 5.22. Nine Golden Keys
6. Introduction to Omega Strategies
- 6.1. Testing Your Influence and Persuasion Quotient
- 6.2. Reducing Resistance in Relationships, Business, and Life
- 6.3. Two Kinds of Resistance
- 6.4. Overcoming Resistance with Omega Strategies
- 6.5. Mastering Omega Strategies
- 6.6. The Power of the Future . . . in the Present
- 6.7. Using Time Perspective
- 6.8. Mastering the Science of Influence
7. Framing Principles, Persuasion Techniques, and Influential Strategies
- 7.1. More about Framing
- 7.2. Foot in the Door: A Proven Persuasion Strategy That Leads to Yes!
- 7.3. Four Tested Ways to Be More Persuasive with Framing
- 7.4. Mastering the Science of Influence: Priming the Pump
- 7.5. Hypnotic Confusion
- 7.6. The Amendment Technique
- 7.7. How Most People Make Bad Decisions and How You Can Help Them Make Good Ones!
8. Applying the Laws of Influence
- 8.1. Law of Reciprocity
- 8.2. Law of Time
- 8.3. Law of Contrast
- 8.4. Law of Friends
- 8.5. Law of Expectancy
- 8.6. Law of Consistency
- 8.7. Law of Association
- 8.8. Law of Scarcity
- 8.9. Law of Conformity
- 8.10. Law of Power
- 8.11. Law of Inconsistency
- 9. The Influential Secret of Oscillation
- 10. Mind Reading
11. I'll Think About It
- 11.1. Influence: It's Not How You Ask, But When!
- 11.2. The Most Common Reason They Say No, and How to Overcome It
- 11.3. Influential Power of Choice Reduction
- 11.4. Impact of Emotions
- 11.5. Persuading the Represented Mind: Representation and Exaggeration?
- 11.6. Flagging in the Persuasion Process
- 11.7. Applications
- 12. How Their Brain Buys . . . You!
- 13. "I Will Do the Work for You"
14. The Power of Thinking without Thinking
- 14.1. Power of Thinking without Thinking
- 14.2. Recent Coffee Challenge
- 14.3. Perception Causes Action
- 14.4. More Thinking without Thinking
- 14.5. Expectations: If You Think a Wine Will Taste Good, it Will Taste Better Than it Would if You Think it Will Taste Bad
- 14.6. Personal Identification—Thinking without Thinking
- 14.7. Disrupting Their Dislike . . . and Influencing Mixed Emotions
- 14.8. Negative versus Positive: Who Wins?
15. Influence in Sales and Marketing Online and in the Real World
- 15.1. Core Reasons People Buy or Say Yes to Anything
- 15.2. Can Higher Prices Cause More Sales Volume?
- 16. The Problem and Opportunity of Memory in Influence
- 17.1. Selling to Women Is Often Counterintuitive
- 17.2. So . . . Just Think Pink, Right?
- 17.3. Want to Sell Women?
- 17.4. The Online World
- 17.5. The Secrets Revealed . . . A Sneak Peek Inside a Woman's Mind
- 17.6. When Women Say "No"
- 17.7. The Anti-Authority Message Reaction
- 17.8. Does Everyone Have the Same Response?
- 17.9. Reactance Triggers
- 17.10. What About That Teenager?
- Need a Speaker?
- Title: The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!, Second Edition
- Release date: October 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470634189
You might also like
Master Your Mind
You ’ ll get there faster if you just slow down Master Your Mind offers a …
How to Influence People, 2nd Edition
Master the power of influence and persuasion. What if you could instantly boost your capability to …
Technical Analysis For Dummies, 4th Edition
Grasp and apply the basic principles of technical analysis Savvy traders know that the best way …
Being Agile: Eleven Breakthrough Techniques to Keep You from “Waterfalling Backward”
Break the Old, Waterfall Habits that Hinder Agile Success: Drive Rapid Value and Continuous Improvement When …