How to Deliver Commodity and Business
Services Exceptionally Well
Every chief information ocer (CIO) will tell you that delivering
services exceptionally well is an important foundation component
in building a trust-based working relationship with C-suite execu-
tives and business teams. is foundation component is the rst
phase of the four phase IT strategic transformation model depicted in
Figure 2.1. Each of the CIOs I interviewed say the same thing: “It’s
basic blocking and tackling.” When each took on their CIO role at
their current company, one of the rst priorities was to gain a good
understanding from the business how well commodity and business
services are delivered. Many found that improvements were required.
One would think that this is a no brainer and each IT organization
delivers services exceptionally well. is is not the case. Ask Rob
Carter from FedEx. Many of the CIOs I interviewed told me that it
takes two to six years to develop a trust-based relationship.
Today’s information-based marketplace is very complex. It’s not
the same as it was 10years ago. More third-party solutions, everyone
bringing their own devices, and security challenges create an environ-
ment where delivery of basic commodity and business services is more
ose of you who are about to embark on a new role as CIO should
nd this section valuable as it demonstrates the important steps in
developing an excellent service delivery model. Examples of CIOs
who have successfully accomplished this phase of the transformation
will help you embark on the journey.
If you feel your organization is delivering services exceptionally well
to the business, you may want to review the material as a refresher and
reassess how the business perceives the delivery of services. You may
the strategiC Cio
nd the results interesting and will be able to head o some potential
Following are the questions each chapter will answer.
Delivering Services Exceptionally Well: Chapters 3 through 6
Chapter 3: Business Value of Delivering Services Exceptionally Well
• How did two CIOs succeeded in delivering exceptional
• How will a seven-step process help you improve the delivery of
services you provide the business?
• What are the types of templates and third party solutions you
can use manage service delivery excellence?
Chapter 4: How to Excel at Operational Stability
• Why is operational stability important in the delivery of ser-
vices to the business?
• What is an eective governance framework that you can use to
manage operational stability?
• What should you measure to achieve operational stability?
• How did two CIOs achieve operational stability within their
4. Leverage Technologies
Strategically to Innovate
3. Implement Initiatives to
2. Understand the Business, Focus
on User Experience, and Improve
Business Skills of IT Personnel
1. Deliver Commodity
and Business Services
Figure 2.1 Strategic IT Organization Transformation Phases.
Chapter 5: How to Succeed at Project Governance
• Why is project governance important to the success in manag-
ing your project portfolios?
• What is an example of a framework you can use to successfully
govern your project portfolios?
• How did a CIO and the IT organization successfully improve
Chapter 6: How to Measure and Improve the Business Value of IT
• Why is it important to communicate the business value of ser-
vices delivered to the business?
• What is the four-phase process to help measure the business
value of IT services?
• How can a Process/IT Service maturity grid help you assess
the business value of the services you provide the business?
• What is an excellent example of a CIO Dashboard that commu-
nicates the value of IT services?
• What are some examples of how CIOs improved the value of IT
services to the business?