the strategiC Cio
you will never be able to partner with the business. is rst step is a
basic element for every CIO who strives to become a strategic partner
with C-level executives in their company. Following is a high-level
overview of the chapter objective, key points, and case examples.
Delivering basic services exceptionally is the rst step in building a
trust-based relationship with business executives, especially if you are
a CIO who wants to solve business challenges and achieve outcomes
that drive customer value, increase revenue, and enhance share-
holder wealth. Tony D’Allesandro, CIO of Rogers Corporation, is an
A. CHAPTER OBJECTIVE
1. Explain the importance of delivering basic services
exceptionally well in developing a trust-based relation-
ship with C-suite executives and business management
2. Provide a seven-step framework CIOs utilize to achieve
excellence in delivering basic services (commodity and
business services) to the business (Figure 3.1).
3. Share insights and experiences from two CIOs in imple-
menting processes to achieve superior delivery of basic
services to the business.
B. KEY POINTS
1. Delivering basic services exceptionally well is table stakes
for building a trust-based relationship with C-suite
executives and business personnel.
2. Delivering basic services without disruption builds trust
and credibility for the CIO and the IT organization.
3. Assessing, analyzing, and improving the delivery of
basic services is a process.
C. EXAMPLES INCLUDING TEMPLATES USED
• CSAA Insurance Group
• Fox Entertainment Group
• University of Pennsylvania