Understand the Business,
Focus on User Experience, and Improve
Business Skills of IT Personnel
Strategic IT Organization
4. Leverage Technologies
Strategically to Innovate
3. Implement Initiatives to
2. Understand the Business, Focus
on User Experience, and Improve
Business Skills of IT Personnel
1. Deliver Commodity
and Business Services
Newly appointed CIOs, who are hired from outside the company, will
tell you that assessing service delivery, understanding the business,
and IT personnel competencies and skills are three of the most impor-
tant to-dos for the rst 100days on the job. As stated in Chapter 1,
the rst two phases of the IT Strategic Transformation Phases are
most often implemented in parallel.
It is extremely important for CIOs and key IT executives to have
a keen understanding of how the business operates on a day-to-day
basis, the competitive environment, and where value creation occurs
across the value network, which encompasses customers, distribu-
tion channels, company personnel, sourcing partners, etc. With this
the strategiC Cio
knowledge, CIOs and key IT personnel can identify potential value
creation opportunities. For CIOs, it is equally important to assess the
organization culture, as well as the competencies and skills of IT per-
sonnel to determine gaps that would inhibit the eective partnering
with business teams in analyzing, identifying, and implementing
solutions that achieve business outcomes.
Following are the key questions each chapter will address.
Understand the Business, Focus on User Experiences, and Improve
Competencies and Skills of IT Personnel: Chapters 8 through 11
Following are the key questions each chapter will answer:
Chapter 8: Why CIOs Need to Understand the Business to Succeed
• Why is understanding the business important to the success of
• How will knowledge of enterprise business processes help the
CIO partner more eectively with C-suite executives?
• What are the dierent ways CIOs learn about the business? (Six
Chapter 9: e Importance of Understanding Your Organizational
Culture in Building Eective Teams
• What is the importance of organization culture to the success of
the IT organization?
• What are the dierences between the four orientation cultures:
collaboration, control, create, and compete?
• Is there a right or wrong culture for your organization?
• How can you assess the organization culture of IT personnel?
Chapter 10: Key Competencies and Skills of a Strategic IT
• What is the dierence between a competency and a skill?
• What are the four key competencies and associated skills of a stra-
tegic IT organization?
• Why are these competencies and skills important in building a col-
laborative and trust-based relationship with business execu-
tives and business teams?
Chapter 11: How to Measure and Improve the Maturity of the
Strategic IT Competencies and Skills of Your IT Organization
• Why is it important to measure the strategic competencies and
associated skills for your IT organization?
• How to use a four-step process to measure the strategic compe-
tencies and skills of your IT organization?
• What are the various types of maturity assessments you can use
for your IT organization?
• What is an example of an IT strategic maturity assessment, with
templates, that can be used to measure the strategic maturity
of your IT organization?