the strategiC Cio
knowledge, CIOs and key IT personnel can identify potential value
creation opportunities. For CIOs, it is equally important to assess the
organization culture, as well as the competencies and skills of IT per-
sonnel to determine gaps that would inhibit the eective partnering
with business teams in analyzing, identifying, and implementing
solutions that achieve business outcomes.
Following are the key questions each chapter will address.
Understand the Business, Focus on User Experiences, and Improve
Competencies and Skills of IT Personnel: Chapters 8 through 11
Following are the key questions each chapter will answer:
Chapter 8: Why CIOs Need to Understand the Business to Succeed
• Why is understanding the business important to the success of
• How will knowledge of enterprise business processes help the
CIO partner more eectively with C-suite executives?
• What are the dierent ways CIOs learn about the business? (Six
Chapter 9: e Importance of Understanding Your Organizational
Culture in Building Eective Teams
• What is the importance of organization culture to the success of
the IT organization?
• What are the dierences between the four orientation cultures:
collaboration, control, create, and compete?
• Is there a right or wrong culture for your organization?
• How can you assess the organization culture of IT personnel?
Chapter 10: Key Competencies and Skills of a Strategic IT
• What is the dierence between a competency and a skill?
• What are the four key competencies and associated skills of a stra-
tegic IT organization?
• Why are these competencies and skills important in building a col-
laborative and trust-based relationship with business execu-
tives and business teams?