the strategiC Cio
examples of how technology is used to expand the value network as
well as create new value. e chapter concludes with an overview of
the following three chapters, which are examples of how CIOs are
leveraging technologies to innovate value.
Following is a brief overview of the chapter objective, key mes-
sages, and examples included.
A. CHAPTER OBJECTIVE
1. Provide you with examples of strategic CIOs have navi-
gated through all four of the strategic IT transformation
phases and leverage technology strategically to innovate
2. Provide insights to those of you who are still on a trans-
formation journey but want to understand the strategic
value of leveraging technology in innovative ways.
B. KEY POINTS
1. Leveraging technology to innovate value is a recognized
global trend exploited by world-class companies.
2. A recent McKinsey global survey of over 1000 chief
executive ocers (CEOs), chief information ocers
(CIOs), and other C-level executives supports this trend.
…companies are using digital technology more and more to
engage with customers and reach them through new chan-
nels… and companies are making digital marketing and cus-
tomer engagement a high strategic priority.
3. An MIT Sloan study of 1600 executives on how they
are using digital technologies found that companies
must “adopt new technologies eectively or face com-
Leveraging technology is a stra-
tegic imperative for every boardroom to embrace or else
executives will watch their competitors race ahead in
4. e role of technology in products, services, and processes
has never been more important than it is right now. We are