A realistic guide to day trading today's stock market
"Josh does an outstanding job of capturing all his trading experience into an invaluable memoir detailing specific rules for both the inexperienced and experienced trader. Anyone interested in trading professionally should read this book as they will learn invaluable lessons."
—Stephen Ehrlich, CEO, Lightspeed Financial, LLC
"Having been a trader for over twenty years myself, I've read my share of books about the financial markets. Josh's book is one of the few which doesn't sugarcoat the fact that successful trading is both hard work and takes a long time to master. These lessons and guidance are drawn from real-life experiences, not hypotheticals, which simply adds to their weight. Active traders who are serious about their success need to read this book."
—Tim Knight, founder of Prophet.net, author of Chart Your Way to Profits
"A brutally honest depiction of the reality of trading. Great stuff. If you're new to the trading game, this book will shorten your learning curve and—if you take its lessons to heart—it just might save you money and grief."
—Jason Alan Jankovsky, author of The Art of the Trade and Trading Rules that Work
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
PART I - Psychological Truths and What to Do about Them
CHAPTER 1 - Truths about Yourself to Know First
- HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRADE, AND HOW PROFITABLY?
- HOW MUCH ARE YOU TRADING IN CAPITAL AND LEVERAGE?
- HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN TRADING?
- WHAT FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS ARE YOU TRADING?
- ARE YOU TRADING OTHER PEOPLES’ MONEY OR YOUR PERSONAL CAPITAL?
- ARE YOU A LICENSED TRADER, OR TRADING INDEPENDENTLY?
- HOW WERE YOU TRAINED?
- CHAPTER 2 - How Emotions Can Destroy a Trade
- CHAPTER 3 - Preventing Overconfidence
- CHAPTER 4 - From Impatient to Cool, Calm, and Collected
- CHAPTER 5 - Taking Breaks
- CHAPTER 1 - Truths about Yourself to Know First
PART II - The Truth about Your Risk
- CHAPTER 6 - The Importance of Risk Management
- CHAPTER 7 - Why Overexposure to the Market Can Hurt
- CHAPTER 8 - Budgeting: Knowing Your Financial Limitations
- CHAPTER 9 - Minimizing Your Risk with Stop/Loss
- CHAPTER 10 - Averaging-Down: A Skilled Strategy
- CHAPTER 11 - Gambling versus Day Trading
PART III - Intraday Trading Truths
- CHAPTER 12 - Why Some Traders Make More Mistakes
- CHAPTER 13 - Trading Consistently All Day
- CHAPTER 14 - Stock Picking: Simplifying the Process
- CHAPTER 15 - Why News Can Be Just Noise
PART IV - The Truth about Training and Preparation
- CHAPTER 16 - About Those Training Programs
- CHAPTER 17 - Picking the Right Online Broker
- CHAPTER 18 - Paper-Trading Strategy
- CHAPTER 19 - Trading for Skill versus Trading for Income
- CHAPTER 20 - The Perfect Trading Day
- CHAPTER 21 - The Worst Trading Day
- APPENDIX - Rules to Remember
- About the Author
- Title: The Truth About Day Trading Stocks: A Cautionary Tale About Hard Challenges and What It Takes To Succeed
- Release date: July 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470448489