Reciprocating IC Engine Cycles
- To understand the principle of operation of 2 stroke and 4 stroke IC engines
- To define the performance parameters of reciprocating IC engines
- To derive expressions for thermal efficiency, mep, and work done in air standard cycles
- To explain the relative merits and demerits of air standard cycles
- To explain modern developments in IC engines
In the previous chapter, we studied vapour power cycles, particularly Rankine cycle and its modifications. The working fluid considered was a vapour which underwent a phase change during the cycle of operation. Also, in the Rankine heat engine, heat was supplied from the surroundings during one part of the cycle and rejected ...