- To define the working principle of turbines
- To state the various methods of classification of turbines
- To derive an expression for the force on a rotor in terms of fluid velocities and hence determine the work done
- To derive expressions for work done by a turbine and its efficiency in terms of thermodynamic variables
- To draw the velocity diagrams for impulse and reaction stages of a turbine
- To solve numerical problems using velocity diagrams and through steady flow energy equation
A turbine produces work which may be used for generating electricity, for running aircraft, in refrigerating plants etc. Steam turbines, Gas turbines, Freon turbines and Mercury turbines are being used ...