Chapter 1. Philosophies of data science
This chapter covers
- The role of a data scientist and how it’s different from that of a software developer
- The greatest asset of a data scientist, awareness, particularly in the presence of significant uncertainties
- Prerequisites for reading this book: basic knowledge of software development and statistics
- Setting priorities for a project while keeping the big picture in mind
- Best practices: tips that can make life easier during a project
In the following pages, I introduce data science as a set of processes and concepts that act as a guide for making progress and decisions within a data-centric project. This contrasts with the view of data science as a set of statistical and software tools and ...