Temporary architecture is flourishing in our urban public spaces. Branded ‘pop-ups’ and follies to provide a moment of light entertainment they are in fact borne of a long history of more holistic architecture that is subtly suggesting how we could live, work and play more harmoniously together.
Featuring revealing interviews with 13 young, emerging and socially-minded practices from New York and Santiago to London, Berlin and Zurich it also analyses this phenomenon in critical essays by well-respected practitioners and thinkers. Providing a highly personal insight into the architects’ experience, the design process, the challenges they encountered and how it affected their practice it sheds light on the growth of multidisciplinary collectives, community engagement and more participatory ways of designing, making and building. Including highly illustrated and imaginative projects ranging from a floating cinema and tiny travelling theatre, through ad-hoc structures made of found objects and discarded materials, and blow-up plastic bubbles, to a community lido and market restaurant this will open your eyes as to what is possible in architecture.
Table of contents
- About the editor and contributing authors
- CHAPTER 01: Young architects' programmes: testing, testing, testing...
- CHAPTER 02: Public realm and engagement: facilitating possibilities and animating places
- CHAPTER 03: Playful storytellers: digging deeper and building narratives
- CHAPTER 04: Collectives and self-initiated projects: making it up as you go along
- CHAPTER 5: Participative building and materiality: scarcity of resources and a platform for communication
- CHAPTER 6: The art world and temporary architecture: the meeting of two disciplines
- Image credits
- Title: This is Temporary
- Release date: July 2019
- Publisher(s): RIBA Publishing
- ISBN: 9781000702361
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …
Designed to Perform
This book is an illustrated practical design guide to delivering better energy performance in all types …