On completion of this chapter, a student should be able to:
• Explain the importance of fluid mechanics in multiple chemical and process industries
• Use both the English and SI units when solving fluid statics problems.
• Define what a fluid is, particularly in relation to the different phases of matter
• Explain the difference between incompressible and compressible fluids
• Explain the concept of a “continuum”
• Use Newton’s law of gravitation to determine the force exerted by an object or fluid
• Identify and use the units of force and pressure in different systems
• Explain the concept of pressure in a fluid
• Explain the concept of pressure drop, or pressure differential ...