On completion of this chapter a student should be able to:
• Describe the three common types of heat exchanges described in the chapter.
• Calculate the log mean temperature difference (ΔTlm) for counter/parallel flow heat exchangers.
• Calculate the correction factor (FT) to account for the effect of multi-pass heat exchangers.
• Define and calculate the heat exchanger effectiveness factor (ε)
• Define what is meant by the terms mixed and unmixed as applied to a cross-flow exchanger.
• Calculate and define the effect that fouling has on the overall heat transfer coefficient.
• Preform a simple thermal design of a double pipe heat exchanger.
1. Introduction. In the process ...