With the coming flood of connected products, many UX and interaction designers are looking into hardware design, a discipline largely unfamiliar to them. If you’re among those who want to blend digital and physical design concepts successfully, this practical book helps you explore seven long-standing principles of industrial design.
Two present and former design directors at IDEO, the international design and innovation firm, use real-world examples to describe industrial designs that are sensorial, simple, enduring, playful, thoughtful, sustainable, and beautiful. You’ll learn how to approach, frame, and evaluate your designs as they extend beyond the screen and into the physical world.
- Sensorial: create experiences that fully engage our human senses
- Simple: design simple products that provide overall clarity in relation to their purpose
- Enduring: build products that wear well and live on as classics
- Playful: use playful design to go beyond functionality and create emotional connections
- Thoughtful: observe people’s struggles and anticipate their needs
- Sustainable: design products that reduce environmental impact
- Beautiful: elevate the experience of everyday products through beauty
Table of contents
- Praise for Understanding Industrial Design
- Who Should Read This Book?
- How Is the Book Structured?
- Comments and Questions
- Safari® Books Online
- 1. A Brief History of Industrial and Interaction Design
- 2. Sensorial
- 3. Simple
- 4. Enduring
- 5. Playful
- 6. Thoughtful
- 7. Sustainable
- 8. Beautiful
- 9. Conclusion
- A. About the Author
- B. O’reilly®: Understanding Industrial Design
- About the Authors
- Title: Understanding Industrial Design
- Release date: January 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491920398
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Designing Interfaces, 3rd Edition
Designing good application interfaces isn’t easy now that companies need to create compelling, seamless user experiences …