The real-world secrets to startup success
Unicorn Tears is the smart entrepreneur’s guide to startups. A full 92% of startups fail in the first three years — but failure is not inevitable. Most of these companies self-sabotage, unconsciously eliminating any chance at success before they even get started. It’s not the economy, it’s not politics, it’s not external factors; failure comes from within. This book shows you how to be one of the unicorns — one of the 8% who make it. Be prepared to un-learn everything you thought you knew about startups, as author Jamie Pride busts the harmful myths that lead so many companies to failure. Drawing upon his history as a venture capitalist, he reveals what investors want to see and hear, and what final factor puts your venture firmly into the “yes” column.
Pride understands what matters in startups, and what gets in the way; his Hollywood Method for start-up success gives you a proven formula based on the tried-and-true framework Hollywood uses to make movies that succeed around the globe. Case studies illustrate what success looks like on the ground, and brings a global perspective to successful entrepreneurship and the strategies that help your business grow.
- Learn the truth behind the eight myths of startups
- Adopt a proven formula for success based on Hollywood blockbusters
- Craft a winning pitch to bring investors — and capital — over to your side
- Gain real-world perspective on startups and future trends
Everyone wants their business to succeed, but wanting means nothing without a solid plan and the means to implement it. Unicorn Tears helps you set yourself up for success, and gives you the tools to forge your path to the top.
Table of contents
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- INTRODUCTION THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!
- CHAPTER 1 COUNTING THE COST
- CHAPTER 2 F IS FOR FAILURE
- CHAPTER 3 THE FOUNDER MYTH
- CHAPTER 4 IDEAS ARE CHEAP!
CHAPTER 5 CASH IS KING
- REALITY CHECK: FINANCIALS MATTER
- WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- BUILDING A FINANCIAL MODEL
- STARTUP CASH: ARE YOU DEFAULT DEAD OR DEFAULT ALIVE?
- HOW MUCH CASH DO YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?
- HOW FAST ARE YOU BURNING CASH AND WHEN WILL YOU RUN OUT?
- OVERFUNDING: GIVING THE STARVING MAN A FEAST
- MANAGING FOUNDER/INVESTOR HARMONY
- WHAT’S NEXT
- CHAPTER 6 FOUNDER FITNESS
- CHAPTER 7 HOLLYWOOD GOT IT RIGHT
- CHAPTER 8 THE HOLLYWOOD METHOD
- CHAPTER 9 FUNDING FITNESS
- FINAL THOUGHTS
- Title: Unicorn Tears
- Release date: January 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780730348696
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Deep Learning Illustrated: A Visual, Interactive Guide to Artificial Intelligence
“The authors’ clear visual style provides a comprehensive look at what’s currently possible with artificial neural …
The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
The missing manual on how to apply Lean Startup to build products that customers love The …