The real-world secrets to startup success
Unicorn Tears is the smart entrepreneur’s guide to startups. A full 92% of startups fail in the first three years — but failure is not inevitable. Most of these companies self-sabotage, unconsciously eliminating any chance at success before they even get started. It’s not the economy, it’s not politics, it’s not external factors; failure comes from within. This book shows you how to be one of the unicorns — one of the 8% who make it. Be prepared to un-learn everything you thought you knew about startups, as author Jamie Pride busts the harmful myths that lead so many companies to failure. Drawing upon his history as a venture capitalist, he reveals what investors want to see and hear, and what final factor puts your venture firmly into the “yes” column.
Pride understands what matters in startups, and what gets in the way; his Hollywood Method for start-up success gives you a proven formula based on the tried-and-true framework Hollywood uses to make movies that succeed around the globe. Case studies illustrate what success looks like on the ground, and brings a global perspective to successful entrepreneurship and the strategies that help your business grow.
- Learn the truth behind the eight myths of startups
- Adopt a proven formula for success based on Hollywood blockbusters
- Craft a winning pitch to bring investors — and capital — over to your side
- Gain real-world perspective on startups and future trends
Everyone wants their business to succeed, but wanting means nothing without a solid plan and the means to implement it. Unicorn Tears helps you set yourself up for success, and gives you the tools to forge your path to the top.
Table of contents
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- INTRODUCTION THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!
- CHAPTER 1 COUNTING THE COST
- CHAPTER 2 F IS FOR FAILURE
- CHAPTER 3 THE FOUNDER MYTH
- CHAPTER 4 IDEAS ARE CHEAP!
CHAPTER 5 CASH IS KING
- REALITY CHECK: FINANCIALS MATTER
- WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- BUILDING A FINANCIAL MODEL
- STARTUP CASH: ARE YOU DEFAULT DEAD OR DEFAULT ALIVE?
- HOW MUCH CASH DO YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?
- HOW FAST ARE YOU BURNING CASH AND WHEN WILL YOU RUN OUT?
- OVERFUNDING: GIVING THE STARVING MAN A FEAST
- MANAGING FOUNDER/INVESTOR HARMONY
- WHAT’S NEXT
- CHAPTER 6 FOUNDER FITNESS
- CHAPTER 7 HOLLYWOOD GOT IT RIGHT
- CHAPTER 8 THE HOLLYWOOD METHOD
- CHAPTER 9 FUNDING FITNESS
- FINAL THOUGHTS
- Title: Unicorn Tears
- Release date: January 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780730348696
You might also like
Machine Learning Pocket Reference
With detailed notes, tables, and examples, this handy reference will help you navigate the basics of …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
The Go Programming Language
is the authoritative resource for any programmer who wants to learn Go. It shows how to …