O'Reilly logo

Unsaturated Zone Hydrology by Gary L. Guymon - Professor of Civil Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine CA 92717

Stay ahead with the world's most comprehensive technology and business learning platform.

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required

Chapter 1Introduction

This book deals with flow of water and transport of contaminants and heat in the unsaturated zone, the strata of the lithosphere lying between the ground surface and the water table or phreatic surface that defines the top of the saturated zone where our groundwater resources are located. This book is concerned with geologic materials that are composed of gravels, sands, and finer material that are capable of transmitting fluids. These materials are called a porous media.

According to Nace (Eagleson, 1970) over 97 percent of the earths water is ocean or saline, and of the remaining 3 percent, over 67 percent is tied up in glaciers and ice caps that are distant from mankinds areas of need. Of the remaining 33 percent fresh ...

With Safari, you learn the way you learn best. Get unlimited access to videos, live online training, learning paths, books, interactive tutorials, and more.

Start Free Trial

No credit card required