In This Chapter
- What are civil rights?
- African Americans and slavery in the United States
- Immigrants and civil rights
- Women’s struggle for civil rights
- The rights and status of homosexuals
- The civil rights of Americans with disabilities
Equality is at the heart of the concept of civil rights. Civil rights are the rights of individuals to receive equal treatment and to be free from unfair treatment or discrimination in a number of settings, including education, employment, housing, and more, and based on certain legally protected properties.
What Are Civil Rights?
Civil rights have historically been associated with the ...