This course explains how successful product managers, designers, and UX professionals use the analytics tool called event tracking to best understand how users interact and behave throughout the entire user journey. While the course focuses on Google Analytics-based event tracking, the lessons learned also apply to other analytics tools. The course describes the purpose of event tracking, how to set it up, and how to use it. It teaches you about interaction maps and how they help you understand when to use event tracking. It covers the distinctions between goals and events, and when to use an event versus a goal or an event-based goal. Packed with practical tips and tricks, this course will boost your ability to uncover deep insights into how your customers use and interact with your products.
- Discover what event tracking means and how to access events in Google Analytics
- Master the different parts of an event tracking script
- Get wise to interaction maps and how they tell you when to use event tracking
- Learn to analyze events by page or content group, and how to use them to segment users
- Understand how and when to use events in custom reports and custom dashboards
Matthew Edgar is a partner at Colorado based Elementive, a consulting firm specializing in web analytics, CRO, UX, and technical SEO. Author of the O'Reilly video series "Using Analytics to Inform Product Design" and the book Elements of a Successful Website, Matthew is Google Analytics certified and has worked in the web performance analytics field since 2001. He holds a Master's in Applied Science, Information, Communication and Technology from the University of Denver.
Table of contents
- Part 1: What Is Event Tracking?
- Part 2: How to Access Event Reporting in Google Analytics
- Part 3: Sharing Event Data
- Title: Using Events to Understand Users
- Release date: May 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492035459
You might also like
Using Goals to Understand Users
Successful product managers use advanced goal setting and tracking techniques inside analytics systems like Google Analytics …
Using Split Tests to Understand Users
Knowledgeable product managers often deploy split tests, such as A/B tests or multivariate tests, to help …
Getting Started with Tableau 2018.x
Leverage the power of Tableau to get actionable business insights and make better business decisions Key …
Smarter, Sharper Thinking, 2nd Edition
Boost your brain and gain an edge in everything you do. Smarter Sharper Thinking reveals how …