Today’s cameras seem to provide satisfactory pictures with almost any kind of lighting. So why do we need to introduce special lighting equipment? Well, the results when using natural or existing ‘available light’ are very unpredictable. Properly arranged lighting has important advantages:
• It allows the camera to produce optimum picture quality.
• It makes various features of the subject visible; revealing its form, texture, shadow detail.
• It can be used selectively, to show or conceal the features you choose.
• It can deliberately enhance or degrade the appearance of a subject or a scene.
• It creates an illusion of dimension, space and depth.
• It conveys an environmental effect. It creates an atmosphere.
• It ...