The covid-19 crisis accelerated virtual collaboration exponentially, creating an instant need for virtual facilitation skills. People and organizations have started on this journey, but do not yet have the experience and competencies to use this medium for effective and energetic collaboration.
Virtual Facilitation will show you how to have successful virtual events, virtual meetings, virtual workshops and training. Packed full of tips, insights and real case studies, the author's practical approach to virtual facilitation will show you how to effectively learn the skills needed to suceed. This book will also cover:
- The role of the facilitator, and what is expected
- The design of the process
- How to avoid common mistakes
- Implementation and influencing behaviour
Virtual Facilitation will show you how to plan for virtual events, how to develop skills to be able to host virtual meetings, virtual courses, virtual training, virtual workshops, and virtual larger events to meet 21st century needs.
Table of contents
- Title Page
I: The Core of Virtual Facilitation
1 An Introduction to Facilitating Sessions
- What is a good virtual meeting?
- Virtual interactions always need a facilitator
- What happens when there is no facilitator?
- What does your meeting culture look like?
- Why have meetings?
- The difference between a meeting, a workshop and training
- The Five Levels of Involvement
- Put your session into context
- Start working on your virtual sessions
2 Going Virtual with Your Session
- We forget the essentials
- How do people behave in virtual meetings?
- Similarities between physical and virtual meetings
- How are virtual meetings different?
- Understanding the advantages of virtual facilitation
- The four barriers in virtual meetings
- The international retail store
- The medium-sized company
- Build capabilities for virtual collaboration
- Applying virtual meetings to different situations
- 3 The Virtual Facilitator
4 The Tech Setup (General)
- Removing the entry barrier
- Top tips for introducing new technology
- Which platform(s) (software) to use?
- How to choose a video conference platform
- Why use a virtual whiteboard platform?
- How to evaluate virtual whiteboard providers
- Why use virtual polling tools?
- How to evaluate polling tools
- Advice for using virtual polling tools
- Suggested setups for a facilitator's hardware
- Think about your background
- Your setup as a participant
- Setting participants' expectations
- 5 Wrapping Up the Before Part
- 1 An Introduction to Facilitating Sessions
II: Before – Designing for Effect
- 6 Designing Virtual Meetings and Workshops with Engagement and Effect
- 7 Purpose
- 8 Participants
- 9 Platform
- Why mindset is important
- How can you create the right mindset?
- What kind of session serves my purpose?
- Set your corner flags
- Where are you in the decision house?
- Examples of different processes
- Examples of processes to encourage engagement
- Design your process, then your slides
- Design the before phase and follow-up too
- 11 Partners
- 12 Planning the Session
- 13 Wrapping Up the Before Part
III: During – Running a Good Virtual Meeting
- 14 Be On Top
- 15 Engage the Participants
16 Manage the Energy
- Reframe your mindset about what energy feels like
- How to sense the energy in a session
- Adjust the energy to match the session
- Creating the right energy from the start
- Using music in sessions
- Think about your appearance
- Be strategic, yet authentic
- Use humour to own the energy
- The importance of breaks
- Using energisers
- 17 Create Clarity
- 18 Connect the Dots
- 19 Wrapping Up the During Part
IV: After – Start Implementing
- 20 Feedback and Evaluation
- 21 Follow Up
- 22 Wrapping Up of Part IV
V: Deep Dives Into Specific Virtual Formats
- 23 Virtual (Recurring) Meetings
- 24 Hybrid Meetings
- 25 Virtual Workshops
- 26 Virtual Training
- 27 Virtual Large-Scale Events
- 28 The Final Word
- About the Authors
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Virtual Facilitation
- Release date: February 2021
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119765318
You might also like
Bad design is everywhere, and its cost is much higher than we think. In this thought-provoking …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
With more than 500 new apps entering the market every day, what does it take to …
Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
A comprehensive playbook for applied design thinking in business and management, complete with concepts and toolkits …