• Files are used for long-term retention of large amounts of data.
• Data stored in files often is called persistent data.
• Computers store files on secondary storage devices.
• All data items that computers process are reduced to combinations of
• The smallest data item that computers support is called a bit and can assume the value
• Digits, letters and special symbols are referred to as characters. The set of all characters used to write programs and represent data items on a particular computer is that computer’s character set.
• Bytes are composed of eight bits
• C# uses the Unicode character set.
• A field is a group of characters that conveys meaning. ...