VMware vSphere 5 Jumpstart - Teaching you effective and efficient practices with vSphere!
The VMware Press video Jumpstart series provides short and immediate assistance to the IT Professional in the form of video. Each "Jumpstart" executes a specific task in a given product or product suite to get you up and running in the shortest amount of time. In this Jumpstart, established author and VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) Brian Eiler puts the spotlight on vSphere. Key tasks are categorized into four groups:
1.0 Working with ESXi hosts
This series of Jumpstarts you will be introduced to tasks focused on ESXi hosts regardless of their connection to a vCenter server. Instructional videos demonstrate how to install an ESXi host, how to manage it from the console (DCUI), and how to navigate and use the vSphere client with a ESXi host.
2.0 Working with vCenter This series of Jumpstarts you will learn about the installation and operation of vCenter; both the Windows and Linux versions. Instructional videos show how to connect hosts to vCenter, and how to create new virtual machines using the web-based vSphere client.
3.0 Storage and Networking This series of Jumpstarts you will learn how to setup and configure iSCSI and NFS datastores, as well as how to use the vSphere Storage Appliance (VSA). Instructional videos demonstrate how to create and manage both standard and distributed virtual switches.
4.0 Scalability and Protection In this wide-ranging topic, you will learn about vSphere Replication appliance, the new vSphere Data Protection appliance, and the vSphere Update Manager. Instructional video will show how to replicate VMs as well as how to use Update Manager to patch your ESXi hosts.
VMware Press is the official publisher of VMware books and training materials, which provide guidance on the critical topics facing today's technology professionals and students. Enterprises, as well as small- and medium-sized organizations, adopt virtualization as a more agile way of scaling IT to meet business needs. VMware Press provides proven, technically accurate information that will help them meet their goals for customizing, building, and maintaining their virtual environment. With books, certification and study guides, video training, and learning tools produced by world-class architects and IT experts, VMware Press helps IT professionals master a diverse range of topics on virtualization and cloud computing and is the official source of reference materials for preparing for the VMware Certified Professional Examination. For more information about VMware Press, please visit vmwarepress.com.
About the Authors:
Over the years Brian has worn many hats including Consultant, Trainer, Systems Administrator, and Manager. He holds the VCI, VCP-DV, VCP-Cloud, VCAP-DCA, and VCAP-DCD certifications from VMware. Brian began using virtualization products with an early version of VMware Workstation in 1999, later expanding into server virtualization and now Cloud computing. In addition to training as a VMware Certified Instructor, he currently helps organizations around the world develop and successfully implement their virtualization plans.
Brian has been working with VMware products since 2002, starting with VMware Workstation and progressing through successive generations of VMware's enterprise products. Throughout this time he has become a leading expert on VMware virtualization, and he continues to provide consulting services to companies around the world. In 2004, Brian became one of the first independent VMware Certified Instructors (VCI). With his consulting background, he provides his students with relevant and practical examples of how virtualization is being used and deployed in datacenters today.
Chris Huss is a VMware Certified Instructor and a consultant specialized in datacenter virtualization. Chris has obtained many vendor certifications including VMware's VCP-DV, VCAP-DCA, and the VCI. He is particularly skilled at using video-based learning methods to convey complex topics. In addition to his consulting engagements, Chris teaches VMware classes both online and in person.
Table of Contents
1. Working with ESXi Hosts
- 1.1 Installing ESXi 5.1 00:03:34
- 1.2 Using the DCUI in ESXi 5.1 00:09:22
- 1.3 Installing the Windows-Based vSphere Client 00:01:33
- 1.4 Using the Windows vSphere Client with an ESXi Host 00:12:47
- 2. Working with vCenter
3. Storage and Networking
- 3.1 Configuring the Software iSCSI Initiator 00:04:27
- 3.2 Formatting an iSCSI LUN as a VMFS Volume 00:07:07
- 3.3 Mounting a NFS Datastore 00:02:54
- 3.4 Installing and Configuring the vSphere Storage Appliance (VSA) Manager 00:09:53
- 3.5 Working with a Standard vSwitch in the Web-Based vSphere Client 00:04:47
- 3.6 Working with a Distributed vSwitch in the Web-Based vSphere Client 00:08:52
- 3.7 Working with a Standard vSwitch in the Windows-Based vSphere Client 00:05:37
- 3.8 Working with a Distributed vSwitch in the Windows-Based vSphere Client 00:10:17
4. Scalability and Protection
- 4.1 Configuring High Availability and DRS Clusters 00:08:26
- 4.2 Deploying and Configuring the vSphere Data Protection (VDP) Appliance 00:04:05
- 4.3 Testing a Backup and Restore Using the VDP Appliance 00:05:51
- 4.4 Deploying and Configuring the vSphere Replication Appliance 00:04:41
- 4.5 Replicating and Testing a VM Using the vSphere Replication Appliance 00:03:15
- 4.6 Installing and Configuring the vSphere Update Manager (VUM) 00:11:53
- 4.7 Using the vSphere Update Manager (VUM) to Patch ESXi Hosts 00:04:43
- Title: VMware vSphere 5 Jumpstart (Video Training)
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): VMware Press
- ISBN: 9780133496888