Get started from scratch with Vmware Workstation using this essential guide. Taking you from installation on Windows or Linux through to advanced virtual machine features, you’ll be setting up a test environment in no time.
- Create virtual machines on Linux and Windows hosts
- Create advanced test labs that help in getting back to any Virtual Machine state in an easy way
- Share virtual machines with others, no matter which virtualization solution they’re using
VMware Workstation runs on Linux as well as Windows hosts and handles different virtual machine formats, which allows you to share your work with users of other virtualization platforms, including VirtualBox, VMware Player, and VMware vSphere environments.
VMware Workstation: No Experience Necessary helps you in getting started with VMware Workstation. You’ll learn how to install VMware Workstation in any circumstance, and how to create virtual machines and keep different configurations for each virtual machine, which helps in setting up extensive test environments. You’ll also learn how to share these virtual machines with users of other virtualization products as well as the cloud.
In VMware Workstation: No Experience Necessary you’ll start learning about different virtualization solutions. In this introduction you’ll learn how VMware Workstation differs from other workstation virtualization platforms such as Oracle Virtual Box, and from data centre virtualization solutions such as VMware vSphere. Next, you’ll learn how to install VMware Workstation on either a Windows or a Linux host and how to create virtual machines on these host platforms.
After installing virtual machines, you’ll learn about advanced virtual machine features, including advanced networking and storage setups, which allow you to mirror a data centre setup as closely as possible. An important part of the setup of such an environment is working with snapshots and clones, which is discussed in detail. You’ll also learn how to use virtual machines that are created on other host computers.
The final part of the book teaches you how to share virtual machines with others. You’ll learn how to upload virtual machines to VMware vSphere, and how to share virtual machines with users of VMware Player.
Table of contents
VMware Workstation – No Experience Necessary
- Table of Contents
- VMware Workstation – No Experience Necessary
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Installing VMware Workstation
- 2. Installing Virtual Machines
- 3. Working with Virtual Machines
4. VMware Workstation behind the Scenes
- Understanding VMware Workstation files
- Working with VMware Workstation files
- Configuring advanced storage
5. Networking VMware Workstation
- Using different networking modes
- Configuring virtual networks
- Using advanced network properties on virtual machines
6. Accessing Virtual Machines Remotely
- Setting up shared machines with the VMware Web Service
- Using VNC for remote virtual machine access
- Using TeamViewer for remote access through a firewall
- Accessing VMware Workstation from tablets and mobile devices
7. Converting Virtual Machines
- Converting physical machines to VMware Workstation
- Performing a V2V conversion and virtual machine import
8. Cloning and Snapshots
- Understanding when to apply which tools
- Working with snapshots
- Creating clones
- Backups in a virtual environment
9. Sharing Virtual Machines
- Uploading virtual machines to vSphere and the cloud
- Sharing virtual machines with VMware Player
- Using VMware appliances
- Making screen movies
- Title: VMware Workstation – No Experience Necessary
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849689182
You might also like
Docker, Dockerfile, and Docker-Compose (2020 Ready!)
Get to grips with Docker, containers versus images, and more by learning through a hands-on approach …
Hands-On Enterprise Automation with Python.
Invent your own Python scripts to automate your infrastructure About This Book Make the most of …
React - The Complete Guide (incl. Hooks, React Router and Redux)
Dive in and learn React from scratch! Learn Reactjs, Redux, React Routing, Animations, Next.js basics and …
Mastering VMware vSphere 6.7 - Second Edition
Unleash the benefits of VMware vSphere 6.7 to provide a powerful, flexible and secure digital infrastructure …