Communicate like a LEADER
Research proves that the greatest impact speakers have in any conversation comes not only from the words they say but from the sound of their voices. In other words, it is not just the message but the messenger that matters.
No one has a better grasp of this fact--and how to leverage it to your benefit--than Arthur Samuel Joseph, one of the world's leading communication strategists and the creator of the Vocal Awareness Method. Joseph's client list is a who's who of world-famous celebrities--including Sean Connery, Angelina Jolie, Pierce Brosnan, Earvin "Magic" Johnson, Emmitt Smith, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He has trained broadcasters and executives at the NFL Network, NBA, MLB, ESPN, Fox, and NBC, as well as business leaders at Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Disney, Toyota, Ritz-Carlton, and the Federal Reserve Bank, among others.
In Vocal Leadership, Joseph shares all his secrets to Communication Mastery with you.
Vocal Leadership provides proven techniques and daily exercises to help you develop a commanding voice and presence, and improve vocal quality, mental acuity, body language, and self-esteem to dramatically increase your influence. Joseph takes you step-by-step through the process of becoming an effective and powerful speaker by providing insight into:
- Breathing techniques
- Vocal warm-ups
- Vocal projection
- Appropriate tempo
- Body language
- Verbal and nonverbal expression
- Effective storytelling
You'll learn how to be in mastery in every conversation, public address, and personal encounter--and how to be tactical and strategic when necessary, earnest and caring when appropriate, and, above all, authentic in every communication.
Whether you're delivering a sales presentation to a group of five or giving a shareholders speech to an audience of hundreds, the way you communicate is the difference between success and failure as a leader.
"When we own our Voice, we own our power," Joseph writes. Vocal Leadership gives you the tools to discover your unique voice and use it strategically to empower yourself and others to success.
PRAISE FOR VOCAL LEADERSHIP:
"The Vocal Awareness Method is a powerful tool that will ensure your voice as a leader, innovator, or captain of industry is resounding." -- HERVE HUMLER, President and COO, Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
"There are numerous books on what to say and how to speak, but only gifted teacher Arthur Joseph can teach us how to connect with others through the extra dimension of our voice." -- DANIEL YUN, CEO, Belstar Group
"Arthur Joseph enables individuals to unleash their unique, inner strength and achieve empowerment through voice!" -- CHERITA MCINTYE, PhD, Director of Executive Learning, ESPN
"Arthur Joseph is without peer in developing communication and presentation skills. His use of technique, coupled with passion and belief, combine for a spiritual approach to mastering communication skills." -- JOHN BRANCA, entertainment attorney and coexecutor of the Michael Jackson Estate
"What I love most about Arthur is that his guidance is about so much more than just work, it is about life. It is about being the greatest YOU possible and bringing out the natural YOU in a meaningful, authentic way." -- JULIE FOUDY, World Cup champion, Olympic gold medalist, former captain of the U.S. Women's Soccer Team, and ESPN/ABC analyst and reporter
Table of contents
- VOCAL LEADERSHIP: 7 Minutes a Day to Communication Mastery
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1: Communication Mastery: The Journey Begins
- Chapter 2: Communication Mastery: The Journey Continues
- Chapter 3: Spiritual Pragmatism: The Journey Deepens
Chapter 4: The Vocal Awareness Method: Mastering the Journey
- The Power of Practice
- 7 Rituals: The Checklist
- Ritual 1: Thank You to My Source.
- Ritual 2: Love and Let Go.
- Ritual 3: Allow a Slow, Silent, Conscious, Loving Breath.
- Ritual 4: See the Edge and Arc of Sound.
- Ritual 5: Take My Time.
- Ritual 6: Pay Attention/Deeper Listening.
- Ritual 7: Be My Self.
- The Daily Vocal Awareness Workout
- Preparing for a Vocal Workout: Gathering Tools
- The Vocal Workout Exercises: The Three Aspects
- Learning the Fundamentals
- Finding Your Stance
- The Jaw Release
- Implementing Ritual 3: Allow a Slow, Silent, Conscious, Loving Breath
- Implementing Ritual 4: See the Edge and Arc of Sound
- The Hub of the Voice
- The Arc of Sound
- The Yawn-Sigh Exercise
- The Three Aspects: The First Aspect
- The Second Aspect: The Bridge
- The Third Aspect: The Performance
- Designing Your Daily Practice: 7 Minutes for 7 Days
- A 7-Minute Workout
- Customizing Your Daily Routine
- Action Step
- Chapter 5: The Message and the Messenger: It Is Not Just Data. It Is Communication
Chapter 6: The Performance: Our Audience Is Our Self
- Body Language—the Body Speaks
- The White Noise of Body Language
- Fine-Tuning the Message
- Building Blocks—Core
- Eye Contact
- Telephone Communication—Integrating the Work
- Context Does Not Determine Outcome
- Adding the Final Elements: The Art of the Interview
- A Few Remaining Performance Tips
- Practice Makes Excellence
- Action Step
Chapter 7: The Human Achievement Movement: Fulfilling the Journey
- The Macro View: Communication Strategy and Integrative Leadership
- The Micro View: Communication Strategy/Integrative Leadership
- The Five Pillars of the Work
- Strategic Insights
- Transformative Stories: To Achieve—We Must Leap
- Shifting the Paradigm: A Call to Action
- Changing the World Through Voice
- Action Step
- Appendix I: The Work
- Appendix II: Stratagems and Guidelines for Communication Mastery
- Appendix III: Communication Mastery and Integrative Leadership: Strategic Insights and Tips
- Appendix IV: Leadership Excellence
- Appendix V: Leadership Terms: Definitions and Etymology
- Appendix VI: Quotations to Live By
- Title: Vocal Leadership: 7 Minutes a Day to Communication Mastery, with a foreword by Roger Goodell
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071807722
You might also like
Vocal Leadership: 7 Minutes a Day to Communication Mastery, with a foreword by Roger Goodell (Audio Book)
Communicate like a LEADER Research proves that the greatest impact speakers have in any conversation comes …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
The Manager's Path (Audio Book)
Managing people is difficult wherever you work. But in the tech industry, where management is also …
Executive Presence, Second Edition: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO, 2nd Edition
Be the kind of leader that other leaders envy by strategically harnessing the extraordinary power of …