Master RESTful API development with Python and Flask
About This Video
Understand how RESTful CRUD APIs can be built using Python and Flask
Familiarize yourself with the Flask framework and its components (routing, the template engine, and error handling)
Incorporate best practices when building large applications
Learn how to apply important security practices when developing APIs
Understand technical terms and best practices with detailed code explanations
Whether working in the enterprise, building for web or mobile, you will need to build (if you haven't already) RESTful APIs to serve data between different client applications and endpoints. This course delivers the fundamental knowledge required to enable highly connected interaction between applications through building RESTful web APIs.
Building good web APIs is not an easy task, but is a necessity for applications that support multiple platforms (mobile, tablet, and web applications) especially with the modern, mobile-first approach to development. In this course, you will learn how to build up and structure an effective web API that can be used by any client application accessing it over the HTTP protocol.
We will start out with basics of the Flask framework before establishing a comprehensive foundation of working with CRUD operations using SQLAlchemy and MySQL as the data store. You’ll get an understanding of how REST works relative to APIs, and we’ll cover how to test APIs written in Python with the support of Flask. You will learn about token-based authentication and find out how to store passwords securely in your database. Best practices and design guidelines when building large applications are also presented.
After completing Web API Development with Flask, you will have enhanced your technical knowledge about RESTful web APIs and have absorbed best practices that can be applied practically in the future.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Getting Up to Speed with Flask
- The Course Overview 00:02:42
- Setting Up Flask and Creating Your First Flask Application 00:06:09
- Custom Routing Configuration 00:09:15
- Flask Template Usage 00:06:35
- Flask Flash Messages and Custom Error Pages 00:03:25
- Chapter 2 : Implementing Create and Read through a RESTful API
- Chapter 3 : Implementing Update and Delete through a RESTful API
- Chpater 4 : Extending the Web API
- Chapter 5 : Securing Web APIs
- Chapter 6 : Testing Web APIs
- Title: Web API Development with Flask
- Release date: January 2016
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783551750